Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Thinking about things, like a walk in the park, things, like a kiss in the dark

Actually, I'm not thinking about things like that at all. Well I do occasionally go for a walk in the park, and that's nice. I'm enjoying walking more often. And it's the best way to explore a new city when you go away for a break.

I'm not thinking about a kiss in the dark, either. Although I do occasionally have kisses in the dark. Best not say any more about that, though ;-)

What I am thinking about follows.

1. My birthday. It's only four weeks away today. In four weeks -- that's two fortnights, twenty-eight days, etc -- I will be 37 years old. It's weird, because just yesterday I was thinking that I was 38. So realizing I'm not even 37 yet makes me feel even younger. Maybe this is one of the greatest things about being a toy boy: you already see that being older is not so bad.

2. Valentine's Day. It's only one week away, guys, so don't forget to buy something nice and/or make a special effort for the loved one in your life. At the risk of sounding like a brown-noser (or should that be "pussy-whipped wuss"?), I try to do nice stuff year round for my woman. Sometimes I fail, though. It seems I criticize more than I ought to. I don't even realize I'm doing it, so I'm gonna make a real effort to fix that.

3. Work. Face it, we all gotta do it from time to time. It's taking me away from blogging as much as I'd like, too. Oh well. Actually, that's not strictly true. I somehow find time to write a post each day, but I'm struggling to find time to visit all my fave hangouts. Sorry to you all, but I am making efforts to rectify that too.

4. The weather. Apparently we're going to be hit with a shitload of snow over the next 24 hours. Brrrrrr. The logs are in the cellar ready for a nice open fire.

5. Spring cleaning. Yes, I know that's a bit of a girlie thing to think about, but our cellar is a damn mess. There are two DVD players to throw out (they don't work) and one 24-inch TV, which I suspect no longer works because it's been in the cellar too long. There's also a huge stack of videotapes to sort out, and a big box full of paper to recycle. PLUS we have to sort out the lounge because we have a new piece of furniture coming soon, so we need to make room for it.

6. Cat. He hasn't blogged in a long while, and I fear his few readers are losing patience. It's not through want of trying; he just never gets a look in on the computers these days. He sends his apologies.

7. Films. I am loving watching movies again recently, so much so that I can't keep on top of my reviews (such as they are).

8. The new David Lynch film Inland Empire. This is the film I am most looking forward to this year. Tomorrow there is a screening in London, with a Q&A with Lynch afterwards. I entered a competition to win tickets, but I doubt I'll get them. And even if I do, with the impending snowstorm set to paralyze the nation, I'm not sure I could get there and back...

Anyways, I think that's all I'm thinking about today. Oh, and you, of course.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praps I'm just a bitter, twisted, single bird, but I'm always completely fucked off by the hyowj thing ever other bugger makes of Valentine's Day.
Ah well.
Wishing it would just fuck off and die, really.

Aren't I a fucking ray of sunshine today, then?

ROFL

SD

07 February, 2007 15:07  
Blogger ldbug said...

Lots of thoughts today!

No worries about work, I'm still enjoying your posts!

Appologies accepted, cat;-)

07 February, 2007 15:55  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Soupy: Ummm, oookay, then. Dum de dum de doo. [Saunters off nonchalantly]

LDB: Lots of thoughts, and I even forgot to put at least one in. Thanks for sticking with.

07 February, 2007 17:23  
Blogger martinobhoy said...

37? Same age as me although I never give it a second thought. If someone asks me my age I still have to subtract 1969 from the current year to make sure.

As for Valentine's Day at least it is during the week this year so that the restaurants wont be clogged up at the weekend with once-a-year romantics.

07 February, 2007 18:37  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

i need to sort out my thoughts as well...does the mind good to organize ones "thinks".

07 February, 2007 19:38  
Blogger Karen said...

I miss the cat. Please tell him that all three members of his Canadian fan club are looking forward to his next installment, whenever it arrives.

Why aren't you thinking about kisses in the dark? Or in the light for that matter? Perhaps that is something the wife would like this year...

Word verification: wutmyth... how interesting.

However, I agree somewhat with Soupdragon. Pathetically single gal that I am, every year around this time I hate all you couples :)

07 February, 2007 21:02  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

We love walking too...in new cities, but also here at home. Recently we started walking with our friends Anita and Behzad, and doing that, I'm learning a lot more about Toronto. Anita really works at finding interesting walking routes in different parts of the city. Toronto is a good walking city, except for times like that last couple weeks when it has been very, very cold.

07 February, 2007 21:36  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Martino: That's what I've resorted to, subtracting or adding 70, which is a nice round number to work with! I never go out on Valentine's; that's just plain silly.

Shea: It sure helps you get organizized.

Karen: He'll be back soon. Maybe even later today, who knows? Sorry to be hated an' all...

Mr A: Yeah, walking is good. We're tryin to do at least a half-hour walk every day. The weather can sometimes get in the way of that. But it's good to get the ol' blood pumping.

08 February, 2007 07:34  
Blogger apositivepessimist said...

I usually had to stop and think how old I was when someone asked me...well I did until I hit 40.

41...41...41. Okay got it now.

Never got into VD...the first [and only] gift I ever got on it, was from the ex early on in our relationship...think it was the frowny face that he received, what put the kybosh on future gifts. heh. I think I need to be more "girly" at times, then I slap myself.

08 February, 2007 23:14  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

I've been doing lots of thinking too. None of them about walking or kissing in the dark. More like work, kids, life direction...

I turn 37 in October. I tell people I'm 43 sometimes just to hear them tell me how fabulous I look for my age. If I say i'm 36, they say nothing.

For Valentines day, I asked Poor bill if we could skip it this year. Not beause I'm not romantic -I just developed a loathing for forced romanticism. I also suck at remembering special dates and days.

09 February, 2007 13:52  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

APP: I'm finding I have to think, too. Guess it's a sign of getting old. I currently just think I'm in my late 30s, or I'm nearly 40.

Olives: I like your age/look idea. Good one. I went to a meeting recently with someone I'd never met, only emailed. She said, "Oh, I thought you'd be older." I replied: "I am."

Skipping Valentine's? Well, you guys seem okay year-round, so it's no biggie, right?

09 February, 2007 15:12  
Blogger Milla said...

Such a beautiful post! Especially when you say you try to do nice things for your beloved all year round. It should always be like that. Oh, scommetto che Red neanche ascolta the criticism!!

18 February, 2007 12:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?