Monday, October 30, 2006

Movie time!

It's been a loooooong time since I did any film reviews (such as they are), so I need to rectify that here. I'll keep it brief, though, because... well, because I don't have much time, to be honest. What little "spare" time (if you can call it that) I had today has already been spent shopping and eating burgers. Mmmm... burgers.

So, dear reader, what have I seen recently? I'll tell you, shall I?

Palindromes
I gotta say, I like director Todd Solondz. This is the fourth film of his that I've seen, and ooh yes I detect a theme. Paedophilia, child abuse, sexual abuse, incest. Indeed, all of the above. Solondz frequently dwells on all of these subjects at length, in the process making incredible, touching pieces of cinema that dare to confront subjects that make people feel uncomfortable. Palindromes takes Solondz's normally realist style into a new direction, though. The lead character is played by several different girls, despite most of the action taking place within a time frame of just a few months. These girls go from black to white and skinny to fat. To be honest, the end effect is nowhere near as frustrating/irritating/whatever as you might imagine. And in many ways it works beautifully, suggesting that this is one girl under discussion, but it could be anyone. Solondz either is your thing or he ain't. He's definitely mine, and I think this is one of his strongest works. I give this a massive 71.

Bombón El Perro
Already reviewed by my dear wife, this film will indeed warm the cockles of your heart -- once it's over. You know what? I found it just a little stressful to watch. You so rarely see films that are this nice and rewarding and optimistic; so when you do, you get the terrible feeling that it's all going to go horribly wrong at every turn! It didn't. Beautiful, both to look at and as a story. 74 points.

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Getting our Halloween viewing off to an early start, we sat down to watch this over the weekend. I really knew nothing about this film, so it was all fresh to me. And I've got to say, I was gripped. What performances! What a tale! What (melo)drama! I love good old movies, and I'm amazed that this one has passed me by for so long. Catch it on TCM or pay to rent the DVD. It's well worth it. Number 73 for this one.

Next: Caché (Hidden) and whatever else we dig up for All Hallow's Eve. Mwuhahahahahahahaha!

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Wow ana cross the board set in the 70's. I'll be back...good reviews and I need to run out the door this am.m


Later

(I watched MOby Dick yesterday morning...with Gregory Peck, I'd never seen it, it was perfect, fantastic!!!)

30 October, 2006 16:40  
Blogger ldbug said...

Ooo, I've been looking for some new films to watch. I'll check out palindroms.

I recommend 'Water' and 'Saint Ralph' if you haven't already seen them...

30 October, 2006 17:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Liked Palindromes as well. I still don't think it was up to par with Happiness, but a good flick none the less.

Steve~

30 October, 2006 17:18  
Blogger Red said...

Man, it was not easy to blurt out, "It's not what you think! Baby Jane might not be the only nasty person in this relationship."

I'm quietly proud of myself for keeping it zipped...

30 October, 2006 18:32  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i really want to see all three of these movies. i love your (and red's) movie reviews... i get excited to add movies to my netflix que :)

by the way... i've now seen running with scissors twice... i think you guys might like it... if you see it, i want to know what you think

30 October, 2006 18:52  
Blogger Shep said...

I am a fool. It wasn't Palindromes I didn't like...it was Storytelling. I haven't seen Palindromes.

Phew.

30 October, 2006 23:00  
Blogger Gardenia said...

I've watched Baby Jane 3 times - it stays spooky, creepy, and fascinating to watch the family dynamics in this one1

31 October, 2006 05:30  
Blogger Milla said...

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane: that's my sister and I in about 30 years! Seriously!

31 October, 2006 10:31  
Blogger Suze said...

I love What Every Happened to Baby Jane. It's one of my all time favs.

It also makes me glad I don't have a sister. Lol

31 October, 2006 10:38  
Blogger Will said...

Yeah, I reckon Palindromes got unfairly dissed by the critics. I got into some quite big arguments with people who thought it was offensive because there were disabled people in it. And know what you mean about Bombon...

31 October, 2006 15:23  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Baby Jane! My kind of movie.

31 October, 2006 22:13  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Candy: I know; it's unheard of!

LDBug: Thanks for the recommendations. Hope you enjoy Palindromes.

Steve: Happiness was great too. Like I say, a good filmmaker.

Red: Well done. As you know, I kinda sussed it before the end, but it was still good. Didn't ruin the fun, like.

Martha: Thanks pet. I'll look into Running With Scissors. I don't think it's even out at cinemas over here yet, though.

01 November, 2006 09:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Shep: D'oh! I liked Storytelling, but it was my least favourite of the four films of his I've seen.

Diana: I'm sure it's totally rewatchable, since the performances are so good.

Milla: That's something to look forward to then...?

Suze: I can totally see why it'd make someone glad they didn't have a sister!

Will: I was unaware that Palindromes got panned, but I don't see why it would, really. Critics are strange beasts. And yeah on the Bombón thing, too. Cynical times?

4D: Mine too, now.

01 November, 2006 09:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd has issues, serious issues. I respect his films, but you really have to be in the mood to watch them, because they are so harsh and real. He is one heck of a filmmaker.

02 November, 2006 21:03  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Melanie: He definitely does! But maybe that's what makes him a great film-maker.

03 November, 2006 08:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?