Thursday, October 05, 2006

Flicks galore

These are the movies I've watched over the past week or so...

Duma
I watched this coming-of-age-with-a-cheetah movie several days ago but have fallen behind somewhat ni the posting of my reviews (such as they are). Wife has already posted her own review, and her opinion pretty much echoes mine on this one. Check it out. I give this movie 60 out of 100.

Eye of the Beholder
To be fair, I didn't watch all of this. By the time I switched it on, about 25 minutes had passed. Even so, I think I am in an okay position to judge, despite the fact that I didn't have the faintest idea what the premise was until I looked it up online. I'm not the world's biggest Ewan McGregor fan, although I think he has put in some fine performances in a handful of films. Given the silliness of this movie, I think he did a pretty good job. He starred opposite Ashley Judd (pictured above). I happen to think Judd is an okay actress, but she wasn't required to do much here but smuggle peanuts once in a while. Not that that wasn't appreciated, but it's hardly acting. A rather disappointing 45.

Message in a Bottle
I have a strange, and largely inexplicable, liking of Kevin Costner. Despite the fact that he's hardly been in a single decent movie for more than a decade, I kind of admire him. It may have something to do with how likable he came across on Inside the Actors Studio when it was his turn to chat with James Lipton. Oops, I guess I've just given away how I feel about this picture, haven't I? Booooooring. Slooooooow. Unsatisfying. That said, if you do find yourself watching it through no fault of your own, Paul Newman does put in a great performance. And it's not as bad as the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I give Message in a Bottle a lowly 33 points.

(By the way, if you've seen both the remake and the original of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, feel free to go here and voice your opinions over which is best. It's been getting pretty heated...)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Well again thanks for the reviews...I should write a couple reviews on Mister Anchovy''s, I am doing a lousy job blogg sitting and I feel like days are flying by...and all it feels like I've done is zilch...okay movie talk to come. I saw Message In a Bottle. It was so so and I love Shue, and I have a thing for Costner too. He is in a cool Tony Scott movie called Revenge...but I am afraid to recommend...you are a tough audience!

05 October, 2006 23:19  
Blogger Gardenia said...

If ya let yourself go, Message in a Bottle can be a wonderful soppy romantic movie. I saw the eye of the beholder - Ashley Judd is so pretty - and it was sorta suspenseful.

06 October, 2006 02:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can't say anything nice about Mr. Costner, but that is a hell of a picture of Ashley Judd! MeOW!

06 October, 2006 03:05  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Ashley Judd can be sexy at times, but I don't really appreciate her as an actress.

I agree with you on Message in a Bottle. I never cared much for Robin Penn (whatever her name is) and I thought the plot was really SLOW.

Thanks for the reviews. Again.

06 October, 2006 10:42  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Well I've added my humble view to the TCSM debate. I geberally can't stand K Costner but I really like him in The Untouchables and Dances with Wolves (although I like twosocks more).

06 October, 2006 11:15  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Candy: You're welcome. You're doing a fine job blog sitting, what are you on about?! I don't know that Scott movie, and as you know I have a love/hate thing with Scott. I might check it out.

Diana: I'm not sure I can let myself go to the point that Message in a Bottle becomes bearable!

Lee: It is a good Judd pic, isn't it? But you know, it's hard to find a good pic of her online.

Tanya: Agreed on Judd, and Message, natch.

ACT: Thanks for your contribution the TCSM/TCM debate. I think Costner was also great in JFK, Field of Dreams, and a couple others, but all a loooong time ago now.

08 October, 2006 12:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?