Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oscar day, part 2

So the noms are in, and No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood are the big hits by number of nominations.

I can't say I'm unhappy with this result. I've long been an admirer of the Coen brothers' work, even though some of their more recent output has been seriously subpar. Word is that No Country is a return to form, and I am looking forward to seeing it.

There Will Be Blood director Paul Thomas Anderson may well be dead to my wife, but I tend -- to my disappointment usually -- to give people second chances and the benefit of the doubt. I didn't love his last movie, but I certainly didn't hate it anywhere near as much as Red did, so I'll be more than happy to catch this film too.

So here are my hopes/predictions for some of the major categories, based purely on what I want and having no idea how good or bad any of the films or performances are.

I hope No Country for Old Men wins Best Picture
I hope Paul Thomas Anderson wins Best Director
I hope Johnny Depp wins Best Actor
I hope Ellen Page wins Best Actress
I hope Javier Bardem wins Best Supporting Actor
I hope Tilda Swinton wins Best Supporting Actress.

Nice to see Viggo get nominated for Eastern Promises, though, and Casey Affleck for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, both of which are also on my to-see list.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

Nice! I need to get me to a theater I really wanted to see There Will Be Blood this weekend, but opted for Cloverfield.

22 January, 2008 14:47  
Blogger Milla said...

I thought Viggo was excellent in Eastern promises; well deserved nomination.

The Coen Brothers' is a strange film; weird ending, it has. In fact, I didn't get the ending at all the first time I watched it. It is a modern classic, in my opinion, especially the photography, which is very beautiful.

On Repubblica I read that Tornatore didn't get any nomination. Eh vabbeh, cosa ci vuoi fare?

22 January, 2008 16:06  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

my list seems to be almost the same as yours. I am also glad Viggo got nominated but Lewis was AMAZING. Jesse James was also good and agree that it respectable to nominate Casey. He's had a good year.

22 January, 2008 16:11  
Blogger Red said...

Milla, Italy is so hung up on Tornatore, I can't believe it.
Every year they submit yet another subpar Tornatore film, and every year they go nowhere. There are many other directors working in Italy who deserve to be supported and promoted abroad, but for some reason, all Italy wants to back (and -- no doubt -- all Hollywood is willing to buy) is the quaint, nostalgic image of Italy that Tornatore regurgitates at every film.

(Though in fairness, it sounds like he's taking a different direction with La Sconosciuta. Hallelujah!)

22 January, 2008 16:17  
Blogger Milla said...

Oh I forgot: The Counterfeiters has been nominated for best foreign film, hurrah!! And the score of 3:10 to Yma also. I am happy.

Red: Tornatore makes good commercials for Italy and he brings a lot of money with his name. For some Italians working in the Arts that's enough.

22 January, 2008 16:27  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I have to say I dont watch these. I am not into this or the Emmy Awards each year. I just turn the TV off and go crochet or spend time with the girls..

22 January, 2008 16:59  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm with you on all of the hopefuls. awesome!

you know i'd LOVE to see johnny take home that award. seriously... it's about time.

22 January, 2008 17:43  
Blogger me said...

the press are pouncing on the fact that kiera knightley hasn't got owt. but to be honest, everything i've read about attonement (is it?) say that the best/only thing she does of note all the film is emerge from some water wearing just a white shirt! (their words not mine)
as for the coen bros, couldn't agree more, and i've heard nothing but good comments about the film.

22 January, 2008 18:08  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I'm too upset about HL...

but I let's see the day did start out so hopeful with noms...

I thinkHal Holbrook will get "supporting actor" for Into The Wild over Bardem.

I think Atonement will likely win "best pic" I haven't seen it yet...but it seems like the kind of vibe Oscar voters like...it might break a split vote between TWBB and NCFOM...?

But if it is between TWBB and NCFOM...I think the latter is a better movie over all. I heard too many disgruntled audience when we left the theatre...it's too long...and although it is every bit as grim as NCFOM....it is grim in adiffernt way...and I think movie making wise NCFOM is more innovative.

I am again disappointed only three movies nom for make up...the very least they could have nominated TWBB...

and no Oscar nod for Jonny Greenwood darn!


But that is all i have for now *...I'll have to see Atonement...

23 January, 2008 07:40  
Blogger Gardenia said...

I agree pretty much with you....

23 January, 2008 22:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?