Friday, January 11, 2008

The countdown to 1,000 begins

Just kidding, kinda, but I guess I have to start thinking about what I can do special for number 1,000, right? Though, going by my recent output, it'll probably be a good year away or more. So stay tuned, folks!

Speaking of being a bit slack, my movie reviews (such as they are) have been a bit thin on the ground of late, but I did put one up yesterday, so why not check it out by clicking da linkz, innit? See the comments on that latest one, and you'll see how big my backlog is, too, so I'm hoping to get my shit together. Also awaiting my eyes are Constantine and Black Book.

So, what's in the news? Well, of course there is a lot of talk about the UK's return to nuclear power over the coming years. Man, I don't know... Nuclear power? I mean, have we not learned anything from the past? Okay, let's say for a minute that nuclear has had bad press. Let's look on the bright side. Apparently it's clean and it's therefore better for the environment than coal and oil.

But it has a half-life of 10,000 years. I mean, you can't just bury this shit under the Irish Sea once you're done with it and forget about it. And yes, that apparently was the plan mentioned by an unnamed governmental minister just a couple of days ago. Then last night, on Newsnight some other dude was saying that he's sure there are communities across the UK that would only be too glad to have a nuclear dumping ground and all the jobs that would entail. Um, really? Cos I can't see people lining up for that business opportunity.

This, in my humble opinion, of course, is a fucking global disaster waiting to happen. What's next? "Oh I know, let's take all this old nuclear waste material and dump it on an uninhabited island somewhere. That's fine." Yeah, and with all the ocean liners that seem to constantly crash causing massive oil spills, imagine the severity of a similar situation with a liner full of nuclear waste... Not good.

Still, most people, who probably know more about it than I do, seem concerned more about the costs of the nuclear programme than about the dangers, so what do I know...?

---------

Also in the news is talk of abolishing the blasphemy law. What's particularly interesting about this is that the Church of England is in favour of its abolition, while the government is keen to keep the law in place (what's that about separation of Church and state again...?)

Personally, I'm all for the abolition of the blasphemy law, of course. I blaspheme from time to time. I take the Lord's name in vain. I don't necessarily think it's big or clever, but as an atheist I see it as my God-given right (ha ha!). And I certainly don't see that anyone should be punished in law for blasphemy, especially writers, artists and broadcasters, people in the public eye who are the most likely to find themselves at the end of such legislation.

Something funny is that if I blaspheme in English, the missus is mildly tutty at me, but if I do it in Italian she virtually blows a fuse. It's bizarre. Also weird is that they have this exclamation in Italian: "Cazzo di Buddha!" This means, "Buddha's cock!" This is deemed perfectly okay, but if I replace Buddha with "Dio" (God) or "Cristo" (Christ), that's highly frowned upon. So it's okay for Italians to be rude about other people's deities but not their own!

Religion is funny. Well, it would be if it weren't for the fact that it's the cause of so much of the trouble in the world... Have a great weekend, y'all.

Labels: , , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Well, "blow a fuse" is a little strong, innit? I just don't like it, is all. But then, I don't like "cazzo di Buddha" either. "Porco Giuda" is about the extent of my blaspheming. I'm so mild...

11 January, 2008 11:26  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Hmmm, nuclear power is a funny one. I've laways been vehemently against it, but they seem to be saying that this is new, improved, safe nuclear power... Until I know more, I shall remain sceptical.

Puss

11 January, 2008 12:06  
Blogger furiousBall said...

maybe we could power the energy need with Buddha cock?

11 January, 2008 14:41  
Blogger Milla said...

Blasphemy in Italy is a big thing because of the Catholic Church, of course. I can't remember where I read that Italian places with the highest number of churches also have the highest number of people fined for blasphemy (in my village: LOADS of both). Coincidence?
Some of the swearing against God is really terrible though, I mean, serious stuff, especially in the area where I come from.

Cazzo di Buddha: yes, because Buddha is generally depicted to be so fat that you can't really see his cock, can you. Hence, the saying.

As for nuclear...hmmm...maybe what you said.

11 January, 2008 15:01  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Red: Well, maybe you don't blow a fuse, but I do like to exaggerate. I've told that a million times. Bwuhahahahaha!

G/puss: I'm sceptical, too. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Let's hope not the hard way...

F/ball: "By the power of Buddha jizz... I HAVE THE POWEEEERRRR!"

Milla: You can't say there's really bad blasphemy and then not share with us! Mado'. Nuclear = bad, by anyone's standards, surely?

11 January, 2008 15:14  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i have to admit, i know nothing about nuclear power. i do know that all across west texas they've been putting up these giant wind mill things (they're called wind farms) that generate a crazy amount of power with even so little as 4 mph winds. it's pretty awesome.

http://www.infinitepower.org/projects.htm

11 January, 2008 16:22  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

I loved both Constantine and Black book. Glad to see Such As They gettting the attention it diserves.

11 January, 2008 16:46  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

"Something funny is that if I blaspheme in English, the missus is mildly tutty at me, but if I do it in Italian she virtually blows a fuse. It's bizarre"

-funny but i see your point.

11 January, 2008 16:47  
Blogger Cynnie said...

i love cursing..
My brother in law gets very very pissy with me when i say something off in front of his kids ( and he should ..that's so wrong)

but i love when i curse a blue streak in spanish in front o' the fam and they just think I'm all snazzy and smart..
ha!

11 January, 2008 17:19  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I think Red would have a hard time in my household.. Not so much my husband but me.. I swear like a horse if one could swear.. But now on to that power plant. They built a new plant here near my house about twenty minutes out and I have no idea what it does. Its suppose to conserve energy if I had heard right exactly a while back.. Not sure on that one.

11 January, 2008 17:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is Buddha's Cock a compliment or insult?

11 January, 2008 17:35  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Martha: Yeah, we have some windfarms not far from us, and Spain loves its windfarms. Unfortunately naysayers in UK government don't believe they can produce enough energy...

Shea: I'll try to watch both movies over the weekend.

Cynnie: Cursing fucking rocks, and bollocks to any cunt who thinks otherwise, right?

Tweetey: I think we say, "swears like a trooper", since troopers swear a lot, I guess. Horses not so much!

Franki: Um, just an exclamation, like, "Shiiit, dude!", I think.

11 January, 2008 17:56  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I Hardly even understand this...is it illegal to cuss with a religion? I always was aware that it is bad ina church or something...but I didn't know it was actually illegal...in Britain!

I've got to think about post 1000 too...

11 January, 2008 18:58  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

p.s. I rarely cuss with gods because I guess I didn't hear that kind of swearing much, my mom cussed but not with religious stuff...she was interfaith and not Christian...my family wasn't Christian...and their swearing was more like shit and fuck...and my dad was an aaethisist so i think he didn't even give credit to god when he stubbed his toe!

also god didn't have a gender for me growing up I use the word Lord sometimes now...but its a bizarre concept I say it for fun, or Jesus Christ...or Jesus God was in John Irving novels and I thought that was cool..

I loved the parents of my Catholic friends...like Kathy Griffin stand up imitating her mother swearing..."taking the lords name in vain" I kill myself laughing when Griffin imitates her mum...

11 January, 2008 19:03  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

LOL.. I understand that one. I have heard that one too. Thanks for correcting me. I need that sometimes.. Hope you and Red have a wonderful weekend.

11 January, 2008 20:33  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Personally I think it is highly offensive to teddy bears if they are christened mohammed.

Actually can they be 'christened' mohammed?

I also think the bibles 'Noah's Ark' theory is highly overrated.

What about the ducks? Not to mention the fish.

Eddie Izzard agrees.

Eddie Izzard is also God.

I've just been arrested....

12 January, 2008 00:08  
Blogger Milla said...

Aste, I m sure in Italy you have heard it when people place the word God next to the words 'pig' and 'pork' and 'dog' and 'cunt' and 'bastard' etc etc. This is standard blasphemy in Italy -even though I don't think in the South it's as bad as in the north.

12 January, 2008 14:04  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Candy: I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it, but blasphemy and libelous blasphemy are both criminal offences. Or something. I like Kathy Griffin.

Tweetey: Maybe in your neck of the woods horses swear a lot. Here they're very refined!

4D: Huh?

Milla: I've heard like "porca Madonna" and stuff, yeah. Maybe it's just because sono uno straniero...

12 January, 2008 16:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always assumed taking the lords name in vain meant doing stuff in his name, such as a war in his name. But what do I know.

As for nuclear power, I just remember the little incident of 3 mile island. We have to be more creative in finding energy that doesn't demolish the earth while powering our lights.

I really enjoyed Constantine. But I know plenty who didn't get it and lost interest early on in the movie.

12 January, 2008 17:04  
Blogger The Anti Crapitalist said...

It reminds me of the scene in the Life of Brian where they stone the hermit for saying Jehovah. Religion is just a pain in the arse.

12 January, 2008 19:06  
Blogger Suze said...

I don't think nuclear can ever be safe and as for living near to it, just ask the people living in Cumbria.

Trying to make it look friendly and inate isn't working on me.

But at the moment there is no real viable alternative.

Great post, some very good points made and one to make us all think.

12 January, 2008 19:13  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

The great untapped energy source is the fart, which has a high methane content. Cows are farting like thunder in meadows all over the world, but the methane is going to waste. It is also a much worse greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. At least we gorilla put a match to our farts.

13 January, 2008 14:39  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

soz. I was well gone.... ;-)

13 January, 2008 17:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?