Monday, December 31, 2007

End-of-year round-up

Seven things from 2007

Readers of this blog will already know much of what I did or that happened in my life over the course of the past 12 months, but I just wanted to do a little précis for my own interest to make myself feel good at what can be a depressing time of year.

1. I got tattooed on no fewer than five separate occasions, totalling three completely new tattoos and finishing off one older one that had been languishing in limbo. That's more tattooing than I've ever previously had in one year.

2. I received a letter and a box of goodies from author Chuck Palahniuk, to whom I had written late in 2006. Chuck is a god and a legend, and this was a fucking rad start to a new year. It arrived the day we left for Seville, so I only had a quick look before leaving...

3. Speaking of Seville, I, along with my dearly beloved wife, travelled out of the country on five separate occasions, visiting a total of six -- count 'em! -- new cities: Seville, Granada, Còrdoba, Taormina, Catania, and Valencia. That's more travelling and more cities than I've ever done in one year.

4. The wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. That's some feat, my friends, in these days of constant reminders of failed romance everywhere you look. And you know: she ain't a bad chick. The years have gone quickly, and I look forward to sharing the next decade with her. And the next, and the next...

5. It was a momentous year, too, for celebrations. Between our combined families, we celebrated not only our 10th wedding anniversary, but also a new birth, a turning-teenage birthday, and birthdays for a 30th, a 40th, a 50th, a 60th, a 70th, and an 80th! AND my mum got married again. Now that is quite astonishing, I think!

6. Red and I had had our first MIRL. Milla and her man Zorro were the lucky recipients of our presence, while we were the lucky recipients of their yummy food and hospitality. MIRLing was fun. We'll do it again one of these days, I hope.

7. I spent several hours in hospital. While this is, thankfully for me, not up there with the medical horridness that several of my blogmates have been through this year (stand up, Martha, for your courage under the most trying of times), it's not something I am terribly accustomed to... and I hope never to be. Hospitals in the UK are dirty, disease-ridden hellholes. Thank fuck it was only a few hours.

So... it was a year, that's for sure. I don't know what 2008 has in store. Who does? But one thing is for sure, I can't imagine it being as full of stuff as '07.

So what's on the horizon? We have our first gig lined up for the end of January; I have my first appointment to get my tattoo backpiece started at the beginning of February; March is my birthday; April looks like a trip to Germany... Hell, maybe it will be as action-packed. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I'd like to take a moment to wish everyone who stumbles upon my writings -- but most especially those of you who come back time and again and with whom I've developed something as close to friendship as any I have in real life -- a really great 2008. Take care out there, my friends.

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

Happy New Years my friend!

31 December, 2007 17:13  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hey Happy New Year Mister Nowt! It's been another great year of online friendship and you and Red have made a big difference in our lives...I hope you are having a great evening...it must be supper time as I typ this and all your hopes and fun stuff happen next year!!!

31 December, 2007 17:34  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Happy New Year and I am glad I stumbled onto your writings. I love hearing about your and Red's trips for the last month and I look forward to hearing about more trips and visits with fellow bloggers.. Be Safe tonight if you go out please. We dont drink so I worry about my friends...

31 December, 2007 17:56  
Blogger Avid Andy said...

wow 10 years...that's great. have a happy new year

31 December, 2007 21:54  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Happy New Year!

01 January, 2008 02:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy new year

01 January, 2008 03:42  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Happy New Year, *. Much love to you - what a list of achievements and events. I may just have to do the same on my blog.

01 January, 2008 06:52  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

I've shied away from such lists myself because this year has been so tough, but some wonderful things have happened, too.

Your list is a heartening one.

Happy New Year, *.

Puss

01 January, 2008 12:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many happy returns, my friend. It's been lovely to know you!

01 January, 2008 12:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice year in review! And it looks like 2008 will be a good one too! Happy, healthy and wonderful wishes to a new year!

01 January, 2008 17:22  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Hope you n Red have a belter mate.

Now where did I put that half empty vodka bottle?

01 January, 2008 19:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a great pleasure to have you two with us, sweetie, and here is to 2008! Cin cin salute!

02 January, 2008 19:53  
Blogger me said...

happy new year mate!

03 January, 2008 10:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?