Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The letter I’m probably going to send to Sainsbury’s supermarket

Dear Sainsbury's,

I would like to register my displeasure at your recent decision to change the way customers' receipts look, listing (certain?) discounted items after the subtotal.

For the customer, this is not an improvement, since, in order to check that all the discounts have been correctly tallied, we now have to know how much we have saved with each multibuy, special offer etc. Since we cannot realistically be expected to do this, it is now far easier for mistakes to go unnoticed. Perhaps that is your ultimate aim, to sneak a few extra pennies and pounds out of our unwitting hands.

Furthermore, your "leaflet" explaining these changes appears to be nonsensical. It reads: "So we can introduce some exciting new offers, we have made a few changes to how your receipt looks." Might you be able to explain, please, how changing the look of the receipt enables you to present the customer with more offers? Surely the two are mutually exclusive. You are implying that you could not possibly introduce any new offers unless you changed the look of the receipt, which is clearly not true, since you have been doing just fine so far.

As a further insult, you have chosen to print up what I can only assume to be countless millions of leaflets explaining this unnecessary decision to hapless customers, when many of us are asking our supermarkets to produce less packaging and waste material. What is the point in reducing the amount of packaging on ready meals and the like if you then go and produce millions of these things? Yes, the paper is recyclable, but we all know that a huge number of consumers will just throw it in the bin.

I would be most grateful if you could respond to these queries.

Many thanks.

Blah blah etc

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

I hope that you'll post the reply letter, if you get one. Which, I doubt. How COULD they respond?

16 October, 2007 17:46  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

nice.

and everything they're doing sounds so ridiculous. i'm with you... totally nonsensical.

16 October, 2007 19:15  
Blogger Suze said...

Good on you! You do realise that I will now have to root through to bin to check if they have done this with my receipt.

I haven't seen anything about it, so I assume that they are phasing the idea in.

I'm eager to see how they reply.

16 October, 2007 21:36  
Blogger Shep said...

You didn't call them cunts. Disappointed.

16 October, 2007 23:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good points. Lets hope they respond.

17 October, 2007 02:14  
Blogger _z. said...

"totally nonsensical" agreed.

I like your sarcastic letters to corporates. I remember when you wrote to your favorite coffee brand... that was awesome.
so yes.. I would like to see their reply... of course they are going to reply, they have to.

17 October, 2007 16:08  
Blogger Avid Andy said...

please send it

17 October, 2007 17:40  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Well, I've sent it. I'll keep y'all posted...

17 October, 2007 17:48  
Blogger Judith said...

Id love to see the reply if they have the balls to reply but you should have included the words 'BBc & Watchdog' then Im sure they will give some crappy explaination

17 October, 2007 21:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's getting close to voting time here and this one chick has sent so many glossy ad cards, I'm ready to go kill her for killing all the trees. And she's got 4 fuckin kids. I'm going to vote this year, just to vote against her. Stupid cunt.

Okay I feel better now. Thanks (*)!

18 October, 2007 14:25  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

Ha...that is amazing that you would do that. Changing the world with a letter at a time. Hey, look how it worked for Andy Dufrane(sp?)

18 October, 2007 17:31  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

It's more than 24 hours now since I sent it, and I haven't even had an acknowledgment. They better bloody reply or there'll be trouble!

18 October, 2007 17:47  
Blogger furiousBall said...

well written and i'm impressed that you took the time to really examine what was going on here.

that Blah Blah etc guy writes good letters ;-)

18 October, 2007 18:28  
Blogger me said...

appaerently every little helps!
my employers have taken over the green thing, and had cards printed to tell customers about it. yet the management didn't seem to notice the irony when i pointed it out!
and thats all i'm willing to say, don't want suspending again!!!

20 October, 2007 15:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?