Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Back from my travels


... But not without a close encounter with this little lady, among other things.

It was my dad's 60th birthday, so the wife and I went off to see the family. Talk about a relaxing break. No, not relaxing... the other thing. Exhausting, that's it.

All we did was eat pork or beef, then drive on to the next place where we could eat pork or beef. I put on 1.3 kg (2.86 lb) between leaving Saturday morning and when we arrived back home at Tuesday lunchtime. My meals were:


Saturday lunch: Faggots and mash with gravy (above), with vegetables.
Saturday dinner: Scallops on a bed of lentils, followed by steak with a morel mushroom sauce and potato dauphinoise, followed by chocolate and pear tart with cream.
Sunday breakfast: Full English -- i.e., bacon, eggs, sausage, mushroom, tomatoes, and toast (with eggs laid by hens of which the girl at the top is one of 60).
Sunday lunch: Roast beef with all the trimmings, followed by white-chocolate cheesecake topped with blueberries.
Sunday dinner: Garlic mushroom on pesto, followed by beef stroganoff with rice, chips, and garlic bread, followed by strawberry-and-vanilla cheesecake with cream and ice cream.
Monday breakfast: Full English.
Monday lunch: Ham and eggs with chips.
Monday dinner: Breaded garlic mushrooms, followed by bangers and mash with peas and onion gravy, followed by a slice of chocolate birthday cake.
Tuesday breakfast: Full English.

Wow... that almost makes me want to gag now! The first three meals were the best, but then they were at the Michelin-starred restaurant/B&B that we stayed at. The food there is absolutely fantastic, and whenever we visit my family we make sure we have at least one meal there. This time it was three meals, since we hadn't been for so long!

Families, though, eh? They can be stressful, and no messing. I'll move on to that in my next post...

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Guendalina! She's such a pretty hen.

27 June, 2007 14:05  
Blogger Karen said...

Yay! You're back! We've all missed you terribly.

Oy! The food (especially the first day) does sound delicious but definately easy to see how you put on a few pounds. Yikes! But it's good to spoil yourselves now and then, right?

27 June, 2007 15:10  
Blogger furiousBall said...

That sounds good. Ok, forgive the shithead American here - Faggots? What's that? I'm hoping you didn't turn some gay men into food.

27 June, 2007 15:54  
Blogger Pie said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Faggots, Potato Dauphinoise, full English breakfast. Now I'm so hungry. I think I drooled a little into my keyboard.

27 June, 2007 16:09  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Faggots! Yuck. I was forced to eat them as a six-year old and gagged at every mouthful. I have not been able to look at the things since.

Excuse me.

Puss

27 June, 2007 16:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!!

I find it interesting that faggots look like meatballs, only with veins.

28 June, 2007 01:56  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Red: I'm sure her name wasn't Guendalina or Gwendolina or any variation thereon, but who knows what they call themselves when there are no humans around.

Karen: It's nice to be missed, thanks. You do have to spoil yourself once in a while, though, you're right.

F/ball: According to Wikipedia, "a faggot is traditionally made from pig heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes breadcrumbs. The mixture is shaped in the hand into balls, wrapped round with 'caul' (a membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked." Now, aren't you glad you asked?

28 June, 2007 09:53  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Pie: Several elements (and indeed full meals) were delicious, but three days of constantly eating big meals takes its toll, man!

G/puss: I used to hate faggots as a kid, but they were invariably prepackaged ones rather than "homemade" by a Michelin-starred chef. Very different thing, I tell ya. That said, it was with trepidation that I ordered them, not really knowing whether I'd like them or not. Glad it worked out for me!

Pool: Meatballs with veins. Cool! Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be back.

28 June, 2007 09:56  
Blogger Milla said...

ohhh what a beautiful hen!
Zorro would love to meet her.

28 June, 2007 10:49  
Blogger Judith said...

*drool* scallops.... christ my mouth is watering, Ooh I wouldnt mind a few right now and its lunchtime too - And all I have is a scabby bag of salt and vinegar and tin of diet coke - curse of poverty thursday!

28 June, 2007 12:24  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Milla: Cute, ain't she? Why would Zorro like to meet her? Just to say hi and stuff?

Judith: Ah, Poverty Thursday, I remember it well! Maybe you can trat yourself at the weekend. Have a nice scallop or two.

28 June, 2007 14:05  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Wow, I know I couldn't eat that many full breakfasts in a row...I mean, I love one once in a while, but three in a weekend is a LOT. On the other hand, I could five or six Devonshire cream teas in a day with no problem.

28 June, 2007 17:37  
Blogger Cynnie said...

I think I need to be sick ..
english food doesnt sound very good..

28 June, 2007 17:52  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Coyote: We really had hoped to have some cream teas during the weekend, but the opportunity never arose. They do rock, though!

Cynnie: Some English food is very good. Come now, grits doesn't sound very nice, do they?!

28 June, 2007 18:05  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow! now THAT'S eating!

i feel like i just gained three pounds reading it.

glad you're home and (hopefully) finding rest now :)

28 June, 2007 19:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those meals sound great if they were more spread out with something lighter in between

excuse my canadianness...faggots and mash?,,,what are those in that picture?

28 June, 2007 20:37  
Blogger Milla said...

Yeah, just to say hello. He had his own special hen when his parents had the farm in Bulgaria. She would wait for him to go and pick her up for a cuddle in the yard. Awww sweet.

28 June, 2007 21:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm not sure I am sold on the 'faggots'..are they made from beef or lamb or pork?

29 June, 2007 01:14  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Martha: Yep, that's eating! Rest? No such thing for the wicked.

Kelly: Hi there! As I said to Furiousball above, According to Wikipedia, "a faggot is traditionally made from pig heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes breadcrumbs. The mixture is shaped in the hand into balls, wrapped round with 'caul' (a membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked." Now, aren't you glad you asked?

29 June, 2007 18:14  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Milla: Awwwwwwww, that Zorro's all right, ain't he?!

Mad Goat Lady: Pork all the way, baby. Well, pig offal really (see above).

29 June, 2007 18:15  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Look at the bright side - your iron levels are probably nice and high now making your blood red and juicy.

Yeh, families can be sooooo stressful.......and somehow visiting home even as an adult seems to suck a person right back into the "system."

29 June, 2007 23:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?