Monday, March 05, 2007

New DVDs to watch

Saturday, Red and I went out to buy a new hi-fi* because our old one had given up the ghost. First the tape deck went wonky; then the CD trays began playing up and being fussy what discs they would play; and finally the minidisc slots started swallowing minidiscs.

And while we were out shopping at the wonderful Bluewater mall in Kent, I took the opportunity to use some of the funds still on my Virgin gift cards.

What goodies did I purchase?, you might be wondering. (Equally, you may well not be wondering, but I shan't let that stop me from sharing regardless.) I bought the following discs:

Brick, the one-disc version; I didn't even realize there was a two-disc version. Bugger! Not to worry. I don't even know yet if I like it, cos I ain't bleedin' sin it yet. I have high hopes.

The Three Burials of Tommy Lee Jones (or whatever it's called). Again, I have yet to see this, but the trailers look well wicked, so fingers crossed.

Open Water. You know the one about the two people who get left behind in the ocean after a diving trip. Uh-oh, shark bait! I enjoyed this film and thought it worth having on the shelf.

At £20 (US$40) for the three, I thought they were a bargain. So I guess these flicks will be getting reviewed over the coming weeks. As ever, though, I am somewhat behind in my reviewing.

For your information, these are the films I have seen in recent weeks but have not yet reviewed:

The Libertine
Domino
The Rundown
(aka Welcome to the Jungle)
The 6th Day
Crimson Tide
Mulholland Dr.
Tsotsi
25th Hour
The Family Stone


Anyone seen any of those? What did youse think?

* I use the term "hi-fi" very loosely, since for the sort of money we were paying and the size of system we bought, high fidelity is highly dubitable, but it seems okay so far. Its dinky size meant we could put it on the same side of the lounge as the TV and stuff, so for the first time in several years we've routed the TV and DVD players through it, too.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Tamarai said...

Libertine and Tsotsi are on my list too! Didn't like Domino. 6th Day was ok. If you like Arnie. Mullholland Drive? Don't get me started....

05 March, 2007 17:27  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm quite anxious to hear what you have to say about the libertine (as well as tsotsi and mulholland drive)... i really want to see those.

and i liked the family stone... i was pleasantly surprised because i was expecting more of a romantic comedy (which i don't particularly enjoy on most occasions)... it wasn't awesome, but better than i expected.

and i can't wait to hear what you think of three burials... i thought it was awesome!!!

05 March, 2007 17:36  
Blogger Adam Frazier said...

It's all a ratings deal - for February sweeps they've went nuts and this episode tonight will be the last one - then they're going on hiatus, thinking anticipation will make numbers go even higher so when they enter early spring they can compete with the new shows premiering.

It's nothing to do w/ the show really, it's NBC that's in control of that, they've already filmed 20 episodes or so, so they really don't need that long of a break...


Ah well, i doubt you'll have to experience much of a hiatus - in fact you'll probably catch up to us during the hiatus.

05 March, 2007 20:42  
Blogger Karen said...

I've heard that three burials was very interesting. Can't wait to read your review!

05 March, 2007 22:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw 'The Rundown' in 2005, I think. Gawd, it certainly was a long time ago, anyway. Definitely enjoyed it, in an action-flick kinda way.
Loved the 'unkey! unkey!' bit int jungle. Oh, how we ROFLMFAO...
Strange how it seemed to have a different name overseas. Me sis is a hyowj Rock fan, I were surprised she didn't know what 'The Rundown' was. Turns out she'd seen it as 'Welcome to the Jungle' or some such crap.
Ai-ya, eh.

Carry on.

:)

06 March, 2007 02:56  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I've seen all of those...except "Tsotsi" and "The 6th Day". I've seen the ones you just bought too.

Libertine was ...ok.

Domino was very nicely made, I really liked it.

The Rundown I've watched several times, I own it. Love it.

Saw 3 Burials when it came out...I think it's brilliant.

Crimson Tide, I probably re-watched this one on tv and it still held up for the time passing. Good characters, didn't Tarantino ghost tweak the little dog and some of the dialogue making the movie punch?

I think Mulholland Drive is brilliant too. SPOILER: I remember analysing it's structure and I believe the entire movie takes place actually ina few seconds when her head is hitting the pillow...I think after the dance sequence opneing we see a shadow(of her head) going towards the pillow...the rest of the movie is how she landed up being dead...? I post this because I know Red isn't a fan of Lynch and sometimes, trying to see if there is a logic in the narrative style can help enjoy the strange storytelling of Lynch.

I don't remember all the details of The 25th Hour...but I loved it Ed Norton fab as usual.

I thought The Family Stone wa sa very different kind of "chick flick" liked it very very much.

Open Water just stressed me out too much. No see again.

We are planning on seeing Inland Empire soon, it gets to our local theatre on the 16th. Then we can discuss!

06 March, 2007 14:16  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

Seen Brick, Domino, The 6th Day, Crimson Tide, Mulholland Dr., and Open Water.

06 March, 2007 14:25  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Saw Open Water and it freaked me out too. Cuz I'm scared of water. And sharks. And being lost at sea. And jelly fish. And.....it was dang sad.

The Family Stone - wasn't too impressed - it wasn't a great, but was entertaining.

Gotta go do the curry.

06 March, 2007 22:44  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

I've seen:
Libertine - interesting-ish
the 6th day- can't remember it well
Crimson Tide - Eh- predictable
Mulholland Dr. - WTF???
Family Stone - chick flick - predictable

07 March, 2007 01:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?