Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Freedom of Information Act to be “neutered” by UK government

This is from this week's NUJ newsletter, which dropped into my inbox this morning. Although it may not affect you directly, I think this is something that we should all be alarmed about. (Bold type is my emphasis.) I've written to my MP this morning.

It’s the last chance to get in your protests about Government plans to neuter the Freedom of Information Act. The Act has been successfully used by journalists across all media to uncover information politicians, corporations and others want to keep secret.

Plans by the Government to amend the Act will make it easier for public authorities to turn down legitimate requests on the basis of cost. There are also plans to exempt MPs from the requirements of the Act.

The NUJ has joined forces with campaigners and industry bodies to oppose the changes. Make sure your voice is heard before the Government consultation closes on 8 March.

Sign up to the Press Gazette petition at http://www.pressgazette.co.uk.

Tell your MP what you think. Go to http://www.writetothem.co.uk.

For further information and other campaign tools see http://www.cfoi.org.uk. Do it today – before it’s too late!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Tamarai said...

That's scary actually.

21 February, 2007 12:44  
Blogger Milla said...

Grazie *A per l'avvertimento.
If you don't mind I'll link from my blog to yours about this.

21 February, 2007 13:25  
Blogger ldbug said...

So, am I interpreting this correctly - the government wants to make it harder for non-politicians to access information about politicians? But the government can still access information about the average citizen?

21 February, 2007 16:28  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

T: It sure is. Go sign up to the petition!

Milla: Thanks. It's worth people knowing, I think.

LDB: That's about the long and short of it, yes. It's what makes Britain great, don'cha know?

21 February, 2007 16:34  
Blogger me said...

to cut costs! yup, as per, more money i their fucking pockets instead of it going where it should. ie hospitals, schools etc.
this a week after we were told an old lady died in a hospital ward when her maggot infested wound had gone "bad".
since when did this become a third world country?
set of cunts indeed! this weeks cunt of the week? i think so!

you see what daylight is doing to me? serious conversations! can't be good!

21 February, 2007 18:26  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

This kind of feeling seems to be growing and showing up everywhere...very scary. Good post and making sure it gets out there!

21 February, 2007 19:12  
Blogger martinobhoy said...

For once I can sympathise with both sides of an argument.

In Scotland we have recently had published what each individual MSP (Member of the Scottish Parliament) claimed in expenses last year. Incredibly they claimed an average of £75,500 last year! Yes that is the correct number of zeros - 129 MSPs claimed £9.4 million in expenses.

For this reason I fully support any moves to keep this information public.

On the other hand I work in a public sector company and know the amount of work that goes into some Freedom of Information replies. For instance one of my staff recently had to spend an entire day digging through e-mail archives for one specific item of information. Hardly an efficient use of public money.

21 February, 2007 19:24  
Blogger Suze said...

What next! This country is going down the pan.

Now I'm off to register my complaint.

21 February, 2007 19:53  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

As I get older I become increasingly angry and cynical. We can't stop them by 'legal' means anymore. By the time I hit 80 I'll be bombing the bastards I think.

21 February, 2007 22:55  
Blogger me said...

ha ha ha ha! sorry, just the thought of an 80 year 4D!

comical!

22 February, 2007 09:21  
Blogger ldbug said...

Do you guys get to vote on this?

22 February, 2007 15:39  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Yes, this is showing up everywhere. I keep telling people to watch the documentary "The Corporation." We are in scary times - what can we do?

26 February, 2007 03:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?