Saturday, February 03, 2007

Buddy Holly: * 7 Sep 1936 † 3 Feb 1959


A long, long time ago,
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
that I could make those people dance,
and maybe they'd be happy for a while.

But February made me shiver
with every paper I'd deliver:
bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn't take one more step.

I can't remember if I cried
when I read about his widowed bride.
Something touched me deep inside,
the day the music died.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

I never realised he died so young -like a lot of great artists.

04 February, 2007 13:44  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

he's right, delivering papers in February sucks.

04 February, 2007 15:05  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Buddy Holly was a remarkable songwriter....reminds me of Hank Williams in that he wrote so many monster tunes in such a short life. Strangely though, I find I have no Buddy Holly in my collection, even though I'm familiar with loads of his tunes. I do have a recording of Joe Ely doing Oh Boy live, which is very good.....

04 February, 2007 18:38  
Blogger me said...

playing the b side "castles in the air" tomorrow (monday) on my breakfast show as a sort of tribute! (yes i know that playing don mclean as a mark of respect is odd, but hey, it's me!)

05 February, 2007 04:03  
Blogger Tamarai said...

So sad. Unlike so many other rock idols, he didn't OD. Which makes it sadder.

Unless I've got it wrong.

05 February, 2007 13:17  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Milla: Yup, 22 years old is all.

Olives: I'm sure it does, but in particular o that day in '59!

Mr A: He sure was, and a real innovator, too. Now get out there and buy some Buddy CDs and have a Holly day.

Cappy: Nah, that's all good. Don McLean played a huge part in getting Buddy Holly recognized in the US after almost two decades of the wilderness.

T: No OD. Plane crash.

05 February, 2007 17:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?