Sunday, October 29, 2006

More copyright chaos

According to the BBC News website, a report is being published today urging the government not to succumb to pressure from the music industry to extend copyright in music.

In part, some of the recommended changes are to protect the consumer's right to copy music that they have already purchased for use on their computer, mp3 player, etc, but clearly there is a feeling that the laws are out of date, and the music biz wants copyright terms extended, rather than reduced or staying the same.

The copyright currently stands at 50 years in the UK. Now, you can call me cynical if you like, but do you think it's any coincidence that we are fast approaching 50 years from the time of landmark recordings being made? Additionally, some copyright terms expire 50 years after an artist's death (in the US, for example), meaning we are fast approaching the end of copyright on some of rock 'n' roll's early casualties, such as Buddy Holly. Heaven forbid that the music industry should start losing some of their cash cows.

Indeed, in the case of Buddy Holly, it will be Paul McCartney who stands to gain from an extension in terms, since he owns Holly's catalogue of songs. Yeah, he really needs the money, doesn't he?! This is as good a reason as any NOT to extend the length of copyright: the last thing we want is money from Buddy Holly's music going to Macca's bullshitting one-legged ex-wife.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it your not a fan of Mrs McCartney then? She seemed a bit cheerless to be honest.

29 October, 2006 17:21  
Blogger Karen said...

She is certainly no Linda.

29 October, 2006 18:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McCartney is a bearded scouse cunt and dunt need my money. Not that I'd spend it on Buddy Holly, mind.
Never did like Paul. I liked Ringo ~ Thomas tjhe Tank Engine, woo-hoo!

Anyway, extending the copyight is shite.

Imgaine Oasis trying to pull this stunt in like 15 years' time. Not on, mate. Fuck off.

Lovely blog, love you long time baby B.A.N. I'm 3 sheets to the wind and loving it!

ROFLMFAO

SD / MB

29 October, 2006 18:25  
Blogger apositivepessimist said...

the possibility of being not a bad little earner for her eh...what were they married for 2-3 years?

30 October, 2006 03:20  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Hear! Hear!

30 October, 2006 13:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! forgot to tell you - had bizarre dream about you and red. I have posted it on iDream.

30 October, 2006 13:48  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Copyright is abused to protect the money earners. We need it to protect those who create something of value and deserve the rewards but increasing music copyright from 50 years is taking the piss. No surprise though.

30 October, 2006 15:07  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

What makes you think Heather Mills is a bullshitter? I dunno, I just get the feeling he is somehow. Just the detail she went into about him not allowing her a bedpan and making her crawl to the bathroom. Maybe I'm just being naive but I can't believe someone could make that stuff up.
(-ise is the future)

30 October, 2006 15:37  
Blogger Red said...

Gosh, you two are on a collision path today, eh?

30 October, 2006 16:07  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

I'm just generally an argumentative person (although I'm feeling more so than usual today) and I know * will oblige me with some lively debate.

30 October, 2006 16:12  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Everyone else sort of agreed here, except ACT. (Go figger!) ACT: It's so obvious she's a liar whenever you see her speak on TV. That, and the fact that anything that could have befallen someone has befallen her. It's just all so fictional. I really really despise her. Don't get me wrong: I'm no fan of Macca, either. But I feel he was tricked by his cock wanting to taste some young flesh, and then he ended up with that... that... I can't even come up with a suitable word for the way I feel about her. Which is odd, because I really shouldn't give a shit, y'know? I just really dislike her and get the sense that she's full of shit. Every word she says sounds made up.

01 November, 2006 09:25  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Go figger!!!!

God, you just can't resist those Americanisms... do you have eggs over-easy and grit for breakfast?

01 November, 2006 16:28  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

ACT: I do have eggs over easy, as it happens, but I've never eaten grits.

03 November, 2006 08:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?