Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I have a dream

I sometimes have some weird dreams, just like many people do, I suppose, but it's rare that I make any special effort to remember them. And to be honest, I haven't had any worthwhile ones for some time. But the one from this morning was funny. I woke up and wrote it down in detail, because I knew it was fading fast. Here it is.


I'm in a classroom, in which people are singing and performing songs one at a time for their peers. Some guy gets up to do "Peggy Sue Got Married" by Buddy Holly... on the clarinet... singing at the same time. It's an interrupted performance at best, and the lyrics are all wrong, so I say, "Dude, let me help you out," and I go up to sing with him. The classroom contains several people who know me (1), and I hear one guy say, "Can you believe the balls on this guy?" (2), meaning me.

So I get to the front of the class, and I pick up the lyric sheet (even though I know it's wrong), and I say, "Okay, give me the intro." He does, and I start singing, keeping half an eye on his lyric sheet. Fortunately I know the lyrics, so I don't have to rely on his "interpretation". (3)

Before long, I turn the page to continue singing, and there are no longer any song words; instead, there is a comic strip (4) set in a jungle. (5) A bunch of guys with beards are fishing from a boat. They catch some big spiky-toothed fish and cook them over a camp fire.

I say to the guy, "Stop, stop, stop. What's going on here? Firstly, the lyrics aren't right, man." And he (he's Dutch) says, "It doesn't matter what words I sing, as long as it sounds right."

"But, dude," I say, "this is a really really really famous song and the words are really really really badly wrong. People will know. And what's with this comic strip? Who are these people?" I look at their faces again; there's not a bespectacled one among them, so clearly it's nothing to do with Buddy Holly.

He points to one of them and says, "That's Tonky" -- I'm perplexed now -- and he points to another and says, "And that's Beckmann," and I'm like ?!?. We get to the end of the comic strip, and it says in the final panel something like "This is the true story of how 'Jungle River Trip' was written." Now everything falls into place. I turn to the guy and I say, "Dude, this is The Monkees, (6) not Buddy Holly," and he replies, "Oh yeah, The Monkees. That's who I meant."


Footnotes
1. People with whom I've never actually shared a class, though.
2. Clearly this is from my most recent Lebanon post.
3. The only bit of his words that I remember is: "Red red rose that's been in almost all the songs", instead of "You recall a girl that's been in nearly every song".
4. In Italy I've been reading almost nothing but comic books. More on that later...
5. Bizarrely, just after typing this bit, I had an e-mail from eBay, saying, "I'm writing to you from the depths of the jungle." Seriously.
6. I have no idea whether The Monkees ever wrote such a song, or went to the jungle, or counted Tonky and Beckmann among their numbers, but I doubt it.

13 Comments:

Blogger Tamarai said...

Oh man.... that's bizarre. I dig weird dreams, though. Don't know why. just me. Being weird.

but I am with Pie - sounds like too much cheese.

08 August, 2006 11:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dreams are silly really. The brains way of de-clunking. No doubt at some point during the day you had a level of emotional arousal. This causes dreams. They are quite funny though!

08 August, 2006 11:35  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is really weird - no idea what it means. I think one of the Monkees did have a surname that was something along the lines of Tonky, I may be wrong about that though.

08 August, 2006 11:41  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

hahahahaha... i love remembering crazy dreams in detail.

too funny...

08 August, 2006 18:25  
Blogger Suze said...

Asterisk, you need a break. LOL

This is quite a strange one and I'm sure Freud would have loved it. :)

08 August, 2006 19:50  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Whew crazy dream.

Welcome back!!! holy I missed you two this week, seemed super quiet around blogland without your voices...

sounds like you had a great time and can't wait to see those photos.

Last night or early this morning, I dreamt two baby raccoons broke into my house and I kept following them around with my camera trying to get the perfect shot, and then one of the little bastards bit me...and I was afraid I would have rabies.

08 August, 2006 20:01  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

09 August, 2006 02:45  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

My word. Might we expect pictures of your pets or skyline from your back garden at dusk.

Welcome back.(That bit is genuine)

09 August, 2006 02:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never dream ...well i had tha last 1 wen i was 5 i memebr it it wasnt funny tho glad ur sleep

09 August, 2006 03:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops glad ur sleep is funny

09 August, 2006 03:18  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Thanks for stopping by the Dangerdykes. Kung-Fu Kitty was most pleased. There is a lot more to come.... :)

09 August, 2006 10:18  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Welcome back *. I think it's almost impossible to spent any amount of time in Italy without putting on weight.

09 August, 2006 10:56  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Dreams crack me up! Oh well, yes, perhaps too much cheese, and perhaps I need a break. But... didn't I just have one? Hmmm.

09 August, 2006 14:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?