Saturday, July 29, 2006

Is one Israeli life worth 10 Lebanese?

I'm really pleased with the way my tree and plant pics came out, and I'll do another post soon with some more.

In the meantime, I was hoping not to have to moan about the situation in Lebanon again for a while. I'm sure all bloggers try to be aware that they have a readership without necessarily allowing that readership to dictate what they write. First and foremost, we probably usually write for ourselves, and if people like what we write and come back time and time again, that's very gratifying.

-- By the way, let me take this opportunity to thank all of my regular readers for their visits and comments. It is appreciated. --

By the same token, though, we have to write what we feel. And sometimes readers may not agree. That's fine in a general sense -- if we disagree over the merits of a pop group or film, for example -- but can get trickier when you move into the arenas of politics and religion.

The whole business in Lebanon is my current albatross, if you will. In a sense I don't want to harp on about it anymore, because I don't want the patience of my readers to wear thin. But on the other hand, I feel so appalled by the situation that I can't help but write about it. I am essentially helpless in any other way in this matter. All I can do is put my words out there and hope they are read and counted along with those of any other protester.

If you are reading this and you are an Israeli and you live in Israel, know this: Despite what your government may be telling you, THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY'S ACTIONS. Bush does, and Blair does. And some people within their countries may well do, BUT MOST OF US DO NOT.

Furthermore, not content with destroying the infrastructure of Lebanon, the Israeli government has now gone against what it has been saying for days and has indeed decided to invade the country. Troops are creating a "safe zone" two kilometres (1.25 miles) wide on the Lebanon side of their shared border. They are, in other words, occupying a piece of Lebanese land 2km wide, and God only knows how long. CAN YOU BELIEVE THE BALLS OF THESE PEOPLE? They cannot help but lie. They have been lying for days about their intention in the conflict, and the lies just keep on coming.

In the meantime, of course, the death toll continues to rise. The UN estimates current mortalities as a result of the crisis as 600 Lebanese and 51 Israelis. The figures rise every day, but one thing has remained relatively constant: about ten times more Lebanese are dying than Israelis.

And as if all this weren't enough, Israel has also now decided to increase its activity in Gaza, where, according to some reports, up to 150 Palestinians have been killed over the past two or three days. Additionally they have virtually shut down the entire Palestinian fishing industry, firing upon any boat that moves too far away from the shore. Most fishermen have decided to give up even trying to fish. Around 10,000 Palestinians are reliant on the fishermen in this area for their food.

Again all this seems to have been started by the kidnapping of one Israeli soldier. One man.

Final word (for now...): the Israeli administration are a bunch of cunts.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger _z. said...

*(asterisk), and I wouldn't be surprised that by mere chance, Israel's advancement is to stop on the Litani River. A river who's waters Israel desired for long. Israel's war on Lebanon is not just military.

Excellent post, thank you. Of course, you may say that I am biased and all, which is true, but in reality the situation is just the way you described it.

I am going to link your post on my blog. I hope you don't mind.

30 July, 2006 06:59  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

*A,
Your ideas and thoughts expressed on your blog never run thin with me. I respect you immensely.

30 July, 2006 15:33  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

This is on all our minds for sure.

We must not accept a war based on "they started it" as any kind of an excuse.

And that is all we ever hear to justify these bombers...is "they started it".

Oh my god, what kind of an animal are we?

Candy
http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/

30 July, 2006 21:00  
Blogger Paul said...

Thank you for this post, your feelings and ideas.
I am lebanese, proud to be one, devastated by what is happening.
I will not comment on who is wrong or who is right. Somethings are just too obvious. Regardless, death and destruction should stop.

01 August, 2006 06:05  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Jez: Thanks for the support. What you say is right, but sometimes one feels that the things one says can land one in hot water... And that makes us self-censor, which is almost as bad as being censored by others.

_z.: I don't mind you linking me, of course. Thanks. And yes, the non-military part of this invasion had certainly not escaped me...

Camie: Thank you. It's much appreciated.

Candy: I know... "They started it" never even cut it with my mum when I was a kid. I think it's time for some people (the whole human race?) to grow up.

Paul: Thanks. I'll be by at your blog soon and get your point of view on the whole thing. I hope you and your family are all well.

08 August, 2006 06:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?