Friday, July 28, 2006

Father, forgive me... (and forgive Clooney while you’re at it)

Over the course of the past two or three evenings, I've tried to watch one of the films we've had on rental from LoveFilm: George Clooney's directorial debut Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Occasionally I do have to watch movies in two sittings, just because of tiredness, or not getting to sit down early enough in the evening to finish one. Of course, though, ideally I'd rather not do it.

But oh, two sittings was not enough. It put me to sleep twice over two nights that movie. And ... and this is so not like me - I watched The Cave, remember? ... I have had to admit defeat. I just couldn't bring myself to watch another minute of it.

Yes, it had good bits, and yes it had good actors acting well. But I just couldn't watch it, and I don't really know why. I just found it unwatchable. I find almost no films unwatchable. Like I say, it's not that it was bad, per se; just bloody boring, I suppose.

I give (what I saw of) this film 19 out of 100.

8 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Told ya...

28 July, 2006 12:09  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Wasn't on my list of ones to watch, but thanks for the tip.

28 July, 2006 14:03  
Blogger Red said...

Pie, I hate that too! And Drew would probably look better with a moustache... at least it would hide her just-recovering-from-a-stroke mouth.

28 July, 2006 14:55  
Blogger _z. said...

heyyy... i think drew is cute.
I haven't seen the movie either, but thanks for the heads up.

28 July, 2006 16:48  
Blogger Spaghetti Monster said...

The only film I have ever had to stop watching is Pearl Harbour. A piece of overlong sentimental, nationalistic, thought-free, explosion-filled, evil Japanese, purehearted American trash so vile it could actually be worse than Ebola.

Confessions runs it close though it is not entirely unwatchable. Syriana, another film is little better

28 July, 2006 21:00  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

X-Men 3. Stuff it. Pure escapism for me for the last 5 years. Couldn't be arsed with 'art' (cept Lost in Translation of course)

29 July, 2006 01:32  
Blogger aidanrad said...

I quite enjoyed "Confessions...", though it did reel away into ridiculousness a little towards the end.

Shamefully, I found "Good Night And Good Luck" much duller and snooze-in-the-cinema-inducing, impeccable worthiness aside...

31 July, 2006 13:20  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Red: Yes, you did!

Tanya: Good for you.

Pie: I hate that, too, the names not lining up.

Red: Umm, yeah, me too. And you had to go there with that stroke comment, didn't you?!

_z.: I've got nothing against Drew either, unlike that mean ol' wife of mine!

Shamash: I love American trashy movies and in fact bought the 4-disc box set of Pearl Harbor, for sheer spectacle alone, you understand, rather than for the dodgy script and acting. And I was looking forward to Syriana, too...

G-Hobbs: ? I'll check it out.

4D: Nothing wrong with escapism, that's for sure. I like a good dose of that, too, from time time to time.

akr: I was looking forward to Good Night, And Good Luck., too... Grrr.

08 August, 2006 06:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?