Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A weekend off

Given that we didn't have to work on Saturday and Sunday, Wife and I decided to take it easy. Well, so much for a relaxing weekend...

How is it that getting out of the house and doing fun stuff can be so bloody tiring?!

On Saturday we decided to do a bit of clothes and music and DVD shopping, as previously mentioned in my Aliens and the World Cup post. Wife was having a bad time of clothes shopping because she seemingly doesn't like this season's colours. And I can't say I blame her. I'm normally quite good at picking up the odd item, too, but nothing took my fancy. It was all just so blah.

So after traipsing around and battling our way through shops for about three hours we went for a bite to eat. Wife and I love Ed's Diner, where you can get about the closest thing to a real American burger. It's a chain, but a very very small chain. There are little tabletop jukeboxes at most seats and they actually work. Most of the music is 50s and 60s rock 'n' roll. Good American diner fare, in more ways than one. So that was lunch. And because we have decided to go on a diet, I went all out. More meat...

Too much meat, in fact...

I ordered Ed's Rarebit, which is a burger with a lovely Irish beef patty on top of a slice of American cheese, and on top of the patty sits a glorious fried egg, over easy, of course. I also ordered grilled onions and a side of bacon. A real meat feast. Fries and onion rings, too, and a butterscotch shake. What a greedy cunt I am! Hence the need to shed a couple of pounds.

After that we went and bought a couple more home essentials then headed back to the casa.

Not a very relaxing morning. So we went for a nap in the afternoon, but I had to be sure I woke up in time for Doctor Who. Another corking fucking episode! Wife cooked while I reverted to a 10-year-old child.

And so on to Sunday...

Started the day with a 40-minute walk round our local area. Gets the blood going, y'know. Can't be bad for you, can it?

Then Wife wanted to dye her hair. I usually help her out with this. It's a lot easier for me to see the back of her head than for her to. Yeah, diamond geezer, ain't I?

But while we were in the cellar doing it (it's the place where we can do the least amount of damage with the hair dye) I noticed we had what looked like some rising damp in the floor... Which meant that after doing the hair job I had to shunt a load of badly water-damaged boxes around and salvage the mainly paper contents from them. Big fucking drag.

Years ago, in the first flat I had when I moved to London, I lost a shitload of books and magazines through water damage in the cellar. I was fucking gutted, and I don't want to go through it again. So that took a couple of hours to not get very far. And not only was I not enjoying it, but it was also fucking boring. Figured I'd call a plumber on Monday morning.

So I decided to turn my sights towards something else I'd promised myself I'd do on "my weekend off": put up an extra DVD shelf. But not before going out for a nice Sunday roast. Yep, more meat...


... and strawberry cheesecake...

... then back home for the handy-man stuff.Now, I'll tell you this: I'm not cut out for DIY. (Do Americans use that term? Home improvements, then.) I can do stuff. I can change fuses and plugs. I even completely rebuilt an old standard lamp once. And I can put up shelves, curtain poles, blinds, and things like that. But I'm not great at it. "Know your limitations" - that's my motto. (This picture shows a TV aerial socket that I put up. It's wonky, but you can't really tell here.) And our house is more than 150 years old, so many of the walls are not straight or are not as solid as you'd think they might be. I swear half of it has been rebuilt with plasterboard...

Still, the shelf went up, and it does the job.

By this time, I guess it was about 5.30 Sunday evening, and I was about knackered. Where did my weekend go?

4 Comments:

Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

I am growing to love your blog.

I straighten my wife's hair. I pretend to be gay and ponce about asking her what she did on her holidays. oh the long winter evenings fly by.

16 May, 2006 18:32  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Why thank you, kind sir!

Spookily enough, we too do the "pretend we're at the hairdresser's" routine. I'm not very good at it, though, having spent very little time in such places..., which I think I'm glad about.

16 May, 2006 18:55  
Blogger me said...

there used to be an american diner in meadowhall, and i loved it! the chilli burgers were to die for! the only problem was the staff dancing on the table every so often. they had an in house dj, who was superbly funny.
miss it. it was the only reason to go. now its just mcdonalds and kfc! shame.

17 May, 2006 08:32  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

McDonald's and KFC are poor substitutes, though, I'd imagine.

17 May, 2006 17:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?