Sunday, August 15, 2010

There’s always hope. But beware false security.

Thanks for all your comments to my previous posts, folks. I know it's hard to know what to say. Equally, there's not much I can say in response other than thank you. Your thoughts and well wishes are appreciated.

I was up visiting my mum Thursday to Saturday, and the latest info is this.

Oddly, she seems much, much better than she was two weeks or so ago. I know this might be down to the huge number of drugs she is on. But equally, she is walking better and the numbness she had in a full half of her face is retreating somewhat.

She is also much more able to retain information. By that I mean: a couple of weeks ago, if she didn't get a thought out of her head immediately, she would have forgotten it within seconds. Now she is able to have a thought and remember it while other people are talking and then say her piece a couple of minutes later, just like any of us would in a normal conversation.

Her face is getting a bit rounder because she is now eating a lot more. She's not eating that well by normal food standards, but the Macmillan nurse told her that it's important she take in high-calorie foods as and when she feels she wants to eat, rather than necessarily sticking to set mealtimes. So she's eating soups and jelly (that's like Jell-O for you American types, rather than jelly as in PB&J) and canned fruit and cream etc etc.

Most of her pain has now gone, although she does suffer with stomach cramps once a day, usually about an hour after falling asleep at night. She is taking Oramorph for this -- a low-dose morphine suspension by mouth -- and that seems to do the job.

She's also very positive, but I think that's because some of the drugs she is on are uppers... Probably no bad thing.

It was good to see her looking and feeling so much better than she was a couple of weeks back.

We are still waiting for the experts in Birmingham to get their opinions back to Mum's hospital. But right now, I don't think I'm alone in feeling cautiously optimistic. And my mum's local hospital has a terrible reputation for fuck-ups and misdiagnoses. That said, I don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security, y'know?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Lee said...

While I completely understand your need for caution, I am a huge believer in positive thinking. In any case, pessimism will not help. I am sending hope and positive thoughts your way.

16 August, 2010 01:43  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Glad things are looking up, but wow, two weeks for these results? Frustrating!

16 August, 2010 06:27  
Blogger Milla said...

Thank you for the update, *Aste.
I would be like you, cautiously optimistic, especially after reading your comment abou the hospital fuck ups (so terrible!!!).

I also think it is really wonderful that your mum is so positive, even though it might be because of the drugs. My father was the same, always positive and looking ahead, and it helped my own family a great deal.

17 August, 2010 13:18  
Blogger Cynnie said...

me and mama are going wig shopping tomorrow ..
awesome .
ugh
my mother has beautiful white hair ..shes very vain about it ..
i guess this is the time of life vanity goes right out the window :(
lucky your mom to have good drugs !..
i hope my mom is so fortunate ..
shes just beginning the trip.

17 August, 2010 16:55  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

That is great news and like you said take it one day at time my friend.. Just one step closer each day and lets figure out what is wrong with the mum.. and then when we do we can fight what ever it is together..

18 August, 2010 18:36  
Blogger Inscrybe Creative said...

If she's feeling good that's a real plus - it will help her recovery. It's tough to know what to say, as you pointed out, but take each day as it comes. Strength to you.

(word ver: Virobers - vibrating condoms perhaps?)

19 August, 2010 10:42  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I think the biggest relief must be that your mums communication has improved. Losing that is so very scary.

Thinking of you...hang in there!

20 August, 2010 17:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?