Saturday, August 08, 2009

I have the head of a wolf

Of course, there is no better accompaniment to new glasses than a new haircut [√] and a new tattoo [√]. The new tattoo is shown here (though I need to get a better pic now that it's almost healed):

Head of a wolf

As per most of my tattoos over the past 30 months, this was again made by Xam at Frith Street Tattoo in London. It sits on my lower right leg, between the shin bone and calf muscle.

I had hoped to sit upright and grab some photos of Xam working on the area, but it proved too difficult for me to hold myself in position while he was working. I just couldn't relax enough, and my body -- and more importantly, the area being tattooed -- started doing all sorts of weird flinchy stuff. I was concerned it would make it tough for Xam to make good lines, so I lay down instead. That was much better.

I am totally stoked with the finished result. When I first sat up at the end of the session, I was blown away by how awesome it was. That's not to say I felt it was better than any other recent tattoo; I think it was more because I was able to see the whole thing easily, without contorting my body or using a mirror, all of which makes it harder to get that instant gratification, I think.

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Beautiful job! It really is amazing. You don't have a lot of space left on your body, I imagine! I would love new ink but can't afford it right now. I might just have to settle for a new piercing instead.

08 August, 2009 17:21  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

Very striking image!

08 August, 2009 23:42  
Blogger Milla said...

I don't like it.
I love it!!!!!!!

And I like the image of the wolf's head (power, agression, strnght) coming out of a rose (fragility). Really a great tattoo.

Can I ask you: you know the neck of the wolf: to me it looks like the neck of a dragon. Is it so or is it just my imagination?

09 August, 2009 19:58  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

WC: Plenty space still! There's more than 1.5 legs; more than half an arm; much of my chest; all of my belly. And that's just the big areas.

Mr A: Thank you.

Milla: Yay! You'll see it in person soon, too. I think you mean the pink bit, which is the inside of his ear.

10 August, 2009 10:22  
Blogger Jith said...

I don't think I've said yet, it looks excellent! Where did the idea for the design come from?

10 August, 2009 18:15  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Jith: Thanks. I just came up with it, though I don't doubt its like has been done before -- just that I've never seen one. I wanted a twist on the more commonly seen rose-with-a-girl's-head design. And I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I wanted a non-overt Gallows tattoo to boot.

10 August, 2009 18:36  
Blogger Shea said...

Man... I think this is my favorite tattoo of yours...

12 August, 2009 08:55  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Thanks Shea. It's currently one of my faves, too -- but that's always the case with a new tattoo. My backpiece is still my absolute favourite.

12 August, 2009 10:35  
Blogger Milla said...

And I saw it live today!!! WHOOAAAAA
I am most lucky! It is really a BEAUTY.

16 August, 2009 21:54  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Hey there. Long time no hear.. LOL.. Great Tat there Asterisk.. Miss you and Red visiting.. Hope all is well otherwise. I am not on Facebook often. I prefer my blog.

01 September, 2009 21:25  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Wow, it's fucking beautiful!! I'm a month late at seeing this new post and new addition to your body art...oh did you know wolf is my power animal?

I love it, it is so fucking cool!!!!!!!

17 September, 2009 00:12  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Hey my friend. I know I miss you and Red. Tell her hello from me... Stop by sometime... Things are happening here so fast I dont where to blink....

19 September, 2009 01:40  
Anonymous cappy said...

a buddy is two sittings into a full sleeve piece. i'll mail you a few pics, i reckon you'll like it. (i'll do it tomorrow though, time for bed!)

29 September, 2009 13:19  
Blogger Stagg said...

WOW-very eye catching!

17 October, 2009 23:28  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm way behind here... but i LOVE it!! it's really awesome. i'm contemplating my next one. thinking about getting a pair of sparrows on my right shoulder/back.

also thinking about a few other things.

anyway... very very nice. any ideas for what will be next?

21 October, 2009 21:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?