Sunday, August 17, 2008

Words please, part two

I almost actually included this at the end of my previous post, and then I decided against it. Indeed, in some ways, that post had been inspired by my seeing a certain man on TV the night before. That man was John Shuttleworth.

And since I wrote that post, the song with which Shuttleworth (not his real name) reached #4 in the charts 30 years ago this month has been making many appearances around my personage.

In the form of this Facebook group, for example, and even a T-shirt with a picture of UK prime minister Gordon Brown on it.

So, without further ado, I present "Jilted John" by Jilted John. And although it's only a silly little novelty punk record, I have to ask: Is there any way in which all the subtle nuances of this track could possibly be conveyed without lyrics? I rather think not.



The words, since I said please and all (though I have not proofread them or anything [no time], so don't go blaming me if they're wrong):

I've being going out with a girl
Her name is Julie
But last night she said to me
While we were watching telly

This is what she said………

She said "Listen John I love you
But there's this bloke I fancy
I don't want to two time you
So it's the end for you and me."

"Who's this bloke?" I asked her
"Gordon," she replied
"Not that puff!" I said dismayed
"yes, but he's no puff," she cried.
"He's more of a man than you'll ever be."

Here we go -- 2, 3, 4

I was so upset that I cried
All the way to the chip shop
When I came out there was Gordon
Standing at the bus stop

And guess who was with him?
Yeah Julie
And they were both laughing at me

Oh she's cruel and heartless
To pack me for Gordon
Just because he's better looking than me
Just because he's cool and trendy

But I know he's a moron
Gordon is a moron
Gordon is a moron
Gordon is a moron

Here we go -- 2, 3, 4

Oh! She's a slag
And he's a creep
She's a tart
He's very cheap
She is a slut
He thinks he's tough
She's a bitch
He is a puff

Yeah yeah - it's not fair
Yeah yeah - it's not fair

I'm so upset
I'm so upset
I'm so upset

I ought to smash his face in
Yeah - but he's bigger than me - ain't he
I know I'll get my mate paddy to hit him
He'd flatten him
Yeah but Paddy's a mate of Gordon ain't he
Ah well - I don't care
Oh I don't care.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Weeeell... with poetry like this, who wouldn't want lyrics to go with their music?

[Hangs head in shame]

17 August, 2008 16:34  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sounds interesting. but I think Red is right about this one. I like music dont get me wrong. I mean we have everything from Country to hard rock here in our house hold.

19 August, 2008 18:49  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Well, I lik e it all pretty much.

But I love singing along with a favourite song. The voice is the first instrument and I love how primal that is...

Meanwhile I am also very attracted to non-language communication. This is outside of music, silent films, images, juxtopositions...stillness.

But I am not a reliable critic, I will always take the side of the performer, artist and writers heh heh...

Really enjoyed this exploration *, thanks!

20 August, 2008 18:45  
Blogger The Preacherman said...

A drinking oppo of mine back then - and now as it goes - is a bloke called Gordon.

Suffice to say he hated it.

21 August, 2008 20:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah mr shuttleworth!
born in sheffield, not 12 miles from here....his birthday is the ay before mine.
jilted john for no1!!!!!! hell yes!
count me in.

22 August, 2008 11:02  
Blogger The Anti Crapitalist said...

I bet you can't right a song that suggests anyone is a puff these days. You'd have the record banned on Radio 1 and the PC brigade would have you in court !!

30 August, 2008 20:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?