Monday, June 16, 2008

Blogging. And Candy.

It's almost a cliche that when a blogger doesn't know what to write about, he or she will write about blogging. Well, that's not really what this post is, but it kind of is.

When I woke up this morning, I had this feeling that the bottom has fallen out of blogging, but then I thought, "No, perhaps it's just me."

When I started this, about 27 months ago, I was writing a lot. Writing often, that is, albeit often short entries, and these tended to be based on news stories.

Lots of other folks seemed to have started at about the same time. I won't link cos I'm lazy, but you all know who they are: Cappy, Four Dinners, Candy, Steve Dullard, The English Ranter. These few peeps seemed to be my first contacts in blogland, and it was great.

Over the two years that have passed, Cappy and 4D have reinvented themselves a couple of times; Steve disappeared, reappeared and disappeared again; and the English Ranter slowly wound down. I've slowed my pace and have sometimes wondered whether I can be arsed to continue.

But Candy stayed strong, educating us with both high-brow and low-brow posts, mixing pop and politics and everything in between.

Until now.

Although I've never met her, she's one of the best friends I've made on the blog circuit, and I've had some great mails and blog exchanges with her, not to mention that we send each other video care parcels on a regular basis, sharing some of the best of our respective countries' TV.

But The Gnostic World Of Candy Minx is now on hiatus. For how long, who knows? One thing is for certain: the world's a duller place without it.

Let's hope it's not dead and just sleeping. Thanks Candy.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Candy was one of my first blog-friends as well and has introduced me to a number of other great blogs and fabulous bloggers. I too hope it's not permanent, it'll be a much sadder, lonlier place without her.

16 June, 2008 11:54  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Yeah, I've notcied the same thing - I'm not sure that it's blogging that's changed, probably more about our natural cycles of interest. I'll keep going, but in many ways, for myself and my commitment to writing more than anything.

Puss

16 June, 2008 13:33  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I always enjoy Candy's posts but now feel guilty for not commenting more...

16 June, 2008 17:00  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

You know I found you and Red through Candy. I hope things dont go bottom up with her. I will miss her terribly and you are right she is a good person. Thanks for sharing this with us because for some reason I couldnt get into her comments section today on her blog. I hope she reads this.

16 June, 2008 18:28  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

despite having seen her around blogland for quite some time, it took me a while to actually start visiting her blog regularly... since i started though, i've definitely learned a lot and had some fascinating conversations with her (my dad even got involved in one on facebook).

i hope you're not gone forever, miss candy!

17 June, 2008 19:43  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

oh yeah! and i don't know what's up with blogging either. i miss it... and i really want to get back into it.

but i think i worry all my readership/friends have given up on me and gone away. plus, i'm really happy right now, and for some reason seem unable to think of anything to say when happy. weird, huh?

17 June, 2008 19:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems a lot of people are reducing their output. I blame er... anything and everything. I used to go for 2 or 3 posts a week, but recently it's been barely 1. What's going on?
I did discover the pub quiz scene though, so that's taking me out of the house for 3 whole nights a week.
But there's still that feeling that you really, really couldn't be arsed to try and write it all down.
Think I'm just lazy.

18 June, 2008 04:23  
Blogger lightupvirginmary said...

I'm increasing my output due to my big brother fest. how this helps our friendship, I'm not sure, but I like it. :-)

21 June, 2008 19:11  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Oh, Candy will be back with some fabulous new ideas and blogs. She's great. I did meet her in person and Stagg as well. One of life's great gifts to me...they are super, super people.

24 June, 2008 16:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?