Thursday, March 06, 2008

A pox on you!

Those of you who go to my missus's blog will know that she has been diagnosed with chickenpox this week. We are proper gutted. She especially, obviously, because she's always tried to be über-careful, not socializing with any friends whose kids have not had it and that sort of thing.

We are doubly gutted because this coincides with my birthday weekend, and we are supposed to be going away to see my family, including our new three-month-old nephew. But now she won't be able to see the nephew cos he's too young to be exposed to the chickenpox virus.

And we are also wondering whether we ought to come clean with the B&Bs and/or restaurants that we have booked for the weekend. If I ran a B&B, I probably would not want someone staying if they had chickenpox...

That said, if we had gone last weekend, she would have been at least as contagious but nobody would have even known about it.

So, moral dilemma: should we come clean and risk being asked not to come? Or should we just go anyway and risk infecting anyone who comes near, just so we don't have to change our plans?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Personally, I'd always be honest about it because Chicken Pox can become shingles, which is really nasty, and you don't know how many elderly/vulnerable people you might come into contact with. Infecting someone unknowingly is one thing, knowingly is quite another - I wouldn't want the karma myself.

Good luck with the decision - it's tough. And I hope your birthday weekend is still jolly.

Puss

06 March, 2008 11:03  
Blogger Karen said...

Yeah, best to come clean and postpone your getaway if necessary. Is she still contagious though?

06 March, 2008 11:38  
Blogger Avid Andy said...

It would really be the virus' fault. I had chicken pox my senior year of high school. I didn't like it.

06 March, 2008 12:33  
Blogger Milla said...

"If I ran a B&B, I probably would not want someone staying if they had chickenpox..."

Hm hm, you said it. Either come clean or don't go...

06 March, 2008 13:29  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

the zombie loving side of me says...risk infection.

06 March, 2008 13:53  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

Ha...proper gutted. I am going to use that now.

I have stolen "sick to the back teeth" from you wife already this week.

06 March, 2008 13:53  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Well when I....er.....
....um...soz...wrong pox...

06 March, 2008 14:33  
Blogger furiousBall said...

haha, i had the exact same thought as sheamus

sorry to hear about Red.

06 March, 2008 15:25  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i have to echo puss. my grandmother got shingles about 10 years ago, and it was traumatic. she was in more pain than i've ever seen... and hers got so bad that it never went away... it did permanent damage to her nervous system.

not to be dramatic... just sayin'... i'd avoid the place and reschedule, for the sake of others :)

06 March, 2008 16:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?