Friday, December 14, 2007

New beginnings and other musings

Today my sister goes into hospital to have her fourth child. It was not due until early January originally, but she has developed the apparently not uncommon condition of obstetric cholestasis and has been advised to get the baby out now rather than waiting. So an unexpected bundle of "joy" (read piss, shit and puke) for Christmas day!

We sent some gifts for the newborn, as you would expect. This is what we chose, from the gloriously named Nippaz With Attitude. Gotta start the kid off on the right foot, right? Click the CD pic for the ability to listen to nursery-rhyme version of some of your favourite punk records!
























They reckon that the baby is going to be just shy of 7lb and that if she had gone full term, the baby would have shaken out at about 9lb. Jeeeeesus Christ on a bike!

On the subject of weight, Red and I are doing reasonably well on our non-diet diet. We're not really pushing it, but we are eating home-cooked meals at least 12 times a week (out of 14), I'd say, and we've cut down on portion size a bit too.

Her goal was to hit XXkg (I'm a gentleman; it's not for me to say) and then treat me too a tassel dance with the as-yet-unused pasties I bought her last Christmas (at her request, I hasten to add). Mine was just to shed a bit of gut.

I'm essentially a slight-framed kinda guy, but beer and pasta take their toll on a rockstar physique. Anyway, today I'm weighing in at 69.4kg (153lb, or just under 11 stone). That's a loss of about 5kg in as many months, so I'm pretty happy. It probably helps that I haven't touched a drop of alcohol for almost two weeks, in part due to having been on antibiotics for that gum infection.

So, what else? Oh yeah, Christmas cards. This year, we have decided not to send as many cards as in the past. This goes for both friends and family, as well as for work contacts. We have planted some trees via the Woodland Trust instead of buying cards for work contacts, and most friends and family will get an email greeting instead. I just don't feel right contributing to the global waste of paper for something that invariably just goes in the bin within days of its receipt.

It's been hard convincing some of my family that this is acceptable. What is it with English people and greetings cards?! The funny thing is, after watching An Inconvenient Truth a few months ago, I had said that my gift to everyone I was buying for would be just a copy of that DVD. Like a dork, I failed on that promise to myself. I still think it was a pretty fucking rad idea, but I flunked out.

And speaking of dorks, we move on to nerds. I took the test. It was kinda dumb, but whaddya expect. I'm a lightweight nerd. Hey, has someone been peeking at my weighing scales?!


NerdTests.com says I'm a Light-Weight Nerd.  What are you?  Click here!


Finally, just to give myself the slightest of pats on the back (not too hard; I might fall over with my new, trim body!), my video of the Palacio del Marques de Dos Aguas, which I uploaded yesterday, is currently YouTube's 58th Most Viewed Travel & Events video uploaded in the UK. Hey, go watch it again and help me climb even higher, please. Oops, looks like I'm gonna go all Guy Kawasaki on yo asses!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

You are only 70 kilos?? You're too skinny man! Or maybe you look skinny compared to me...
Happy xmas pal! There goes your card.
(I agree with you and Red on this subject).

14 December, 2007 13:24  
Blogger Milla said...

Oh I forgot. I did the nerd test and it came out that " I'm an Uber Cool History / Lit Geek". Yeah, right, 'history'.

14 December, 2007 13:26  
Blogger _z. said...

Great idea on going easy with the cards.
I do the same, I design a nice digital card, and email it to friends and all. It's pretty cool because it is your design, and tells your style.

Congratulations on the new born. gifts are super.
you should have gotten baby her/his first ink.
somthing like
"I was born before J.C"
"I am so bad, mommy couldn't hold me"

14 December, 2007 13:28  
Blogger furiousBall said...

I made a similar promise after seeing An Inconvenient Truth, I lent the DVD to many. Great baby outfits btw.

14 December, 2007 14:03  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

Ha...i love the mother sucka bib...

as far as weight loss. I clock in at about 190. Never weighed much less or more than that since high school. But I have the amazing ability to lose weight as fast as I gain it which balances itself out. I hope I can hang on to that gift.

14 December, 2007 16:11  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Ok you have nieces and nephews but do you have kids of your own?? LOL... Had to ask. Those were cute outfits though.

14 December, 2007 16:15  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

those are the coolest baby gifts i've ever seen... EVER!
dang, i wish i had some friends having babies who were cool enough to appreciate that stuff. i have friends having babies... but they're not quite cool enough to not be offended by any one of those items.

i want to comment on the rest, but i just can't get over that baby stuff. so awesome! hahaha!

14 December, 2007 17:02  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Very cool baby gifts wow...what a lucky family!!!

Congrats on the weight loss too. I've lost some need to lose more...not sleeping is very bad for weight gain ugh!

Hey that is incredible about the video...I am on way to watch it again let's get to the top!!!!

14 December, 2007 17:56  
Blogger tideliar said...

"today I'm weighing in at 69.4kg (153lb, or just under 11 stone)."

Damn boy! I'm 73kg (160lbs) and I'm thin as rake! How tall are you?

14 December, 2007 19:03  
Blogger tideliar said...

Cool Nerd King yo!

14 December, 2007 19:12  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Thanks guys!

But keep clicking that link. I'm up to #34 now. Go us!

14 December, 2007 19:21  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Wow, I would love to have the Inconvenient Truth DVD for Christmas, but "H" seems to think it is a plot from hell to ruin our comfort zones. Soooooooo - won't come from him. (I have been known to buy myself Christmas presents when I'm desperate) But it was a brilliant idea on your part!

Mmmmm, see why you guys are not so keen on kids - you really don't need to have any - can just borrow one or a few every once in a while! Your sister has enough to go around and would probably appreciate the relief once in a while.

16 December, 2007 21:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?