Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Intermission over: Back to Valencia

Saturday, 24 November (still...)
So after our huge walk down to the port, we had to wait for the America's Cup store to open. And when it did, unfortunately we were unable to buy what Red had wanted for her mother. So while the walk had been for nowt, it had still been a fun one! We looked out for a cab and headed back to the hotel room.

At the time Red was looking at possible hotels, she had read that this one had, in some rooms, only a window separating the bedroom from the bathroom. This sounded like great fun, perv that I am, so we really hoped we got one of those. And we did! It was cool and wacky!

We chilled and nursed our blistered feet before heading our for some food. My tattooist Xam is from around Valencia, and so I had asked him if he could recommend any good restaurants. He had given me a couple of names, one of which is apparently frequented by Spanish stars and royalty. We had to give it a go. So we headed out into the night. We wanted to explore some of the busy streets by night before eating, and we also had to stop in at an Internet cafe to check in online for our return flight.

Once we decided it was time to eat, we got a taxi. It took us all the way back to the port area, but only when we got there did we discover that the restaurant was closed for the season. Fortunately, just a few doors away was the other restaurant that had been recommended.

We sat and ordered food, wine, and water. We were ravenous. We'd not eaten since a small bite at 1pm, and it was now about 9pm if memory serves. The chances are that it was probably later because the restaurant had quite a few people in it, and people eat late in Spain. (When we were in Seville, we found this great steak restaurant. We went there at gone 9pm one night and were the only people there. It started getting busier as we were about to leave. Can you imagine eating a steak at 11pm?! Amazing...)

We ordered paella -- what else, since Valencia is the home of the dish? I must say, I enjoyed mine. Red was a little less convinced. We have an ongoing beef about paella since her birthday in Seville. I won't go into it, save to say that perhaps I made a mistake that we both ended up paying for. Sorry, pet. Kisses!

After dinner, we looked for a cab and headed back to the hotel, I think. We were shattered, and I was probably a bit tipsy, so my memory is unclear now!

---------------------


Sunday, 25 November
Next day we breakfasted fairly early so we could get out and pound the streets some more. We both love getting away from our desks, of course, and we love both beach and city breaks. But when we do city breaks, fuck do we do 'em! I mean, we walk our motherfucking feet off. You've got to, though, right? It might be the only time you go to a particular city, so you need to have no regrets about missing anything.

We headed into the old town area and walked the squares and looked at fountains and stuff. Just walking fairly directionless, letting the city be our guide. Well, letting the city and the guide book be our guides. And the map.

We found some crazy dogs playing in the streets. And then some men and women in "traditional" Spanish dress. By traditional, I mean, old-school, dancey, traditional, cos at the end of the day, traditional dress for everyone these days is jeans, T-shirts, jumpers, of course.

Then we stumbled upon a street where everyone was congregating. It was mayhem. Old and young, male and female. What was going on? we wondered. You know what it was...? Trading cards. Everyone was going crazy buying and swapping football cards. Incredible...

Here's the video of this leg of our journey.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

ohhhhh don't let Zorro see this video, he will want to have the same kind of bedroom/bathroom set up at home...the perv!

12 December, 2007 10:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kinda like the idea of the window for a wall, if I was feeling Flashdance or somfin, but if I was feeling private, that would make me nuts!

I love to walk my feet off to discover a town too. What fun!

12 December, 2007 11:52  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Ok.. Great trip though. Thanks for sharing. Now I want to come visit where you can tell me all about it. What were those men doing on the ground that looked like rocks they were throwing?? It might not have been rocks. it was close to the end of the video...

12 December, 2007 15:39  
Blogger furiousBall said...

that window for a wall thing is begging for a pressed ham

12 December, 2007 15:47  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Milla: Good old Zorro!

Franki: Yeah, I think it's okay for a few days, but a lifetime? Probably not so much!

Tweetey: Those guys were the trading card people. Crazy, huh?

F/ball: I'm scared to ask what that means...

12 December, 2007 17:02  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow! yours and red's vacays are just so tantalizing! i envy you both. that's my dream... to travel the world with my husband some day.

and i LOVE that you guys walk so much. hahhaa... the bedroom/bathroom window thing is hilarious. i love how excited you sounded. hahahha... was red as excited?

12 December, 2007 17:32  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

That was fun! Those dogs were hilarious. I felt like I could feel the weather and I love the church.

How did we travel without a cam corder ever before...it rules!

12 December, 2007 22:20  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Martha: That sounds like a cool dream you have. And of course Red was just as excited by the glass wall!

Candy: I'm glad you liked the dogs. We were the only people taking any notice of them. One belonged to street musicians; the other to a young girl sat reading. I have mixed feelings about seeing so much through the video camera, so I'm careful to observe AND shoot, but it is great looking back.

13 December, 2007 10:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?