Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Weekend diary, part 2

Saturday, 24 November (continued)
So to get to the big, long park, we first had to walk down a big, wide street. But this big, wide street was super-groovy, cos it had a big, wide walkway running down the middle of it -- kind of like a mini-park in its own right. People were out walking their dogs, couples were canoodling by their cars, and the occasional tramp was sitting on a bench with his shopping cart of worldly possessions next to him.

We walked past a cool tree, which looked like it was straight out of Pan's Labyrinth, too. Here's some video of this bit of the walk, including the tree and a sneak peek at the big park below us at the end of the clip.



So then we climbed down some steps into the park, and it was coooooool, like I said yesterday. And we walked and walked. We wanted to walk to the City of Arts & Sciences designed by Santiago Calatrava. We didn't realize how far it was. It looked quite near on the map!

But eventually we spotted a bit of the famous architecture, rising up from the horizon, and this spurred us on. We had flown in over the complex, and it looked amazing from the air. We simply had to go there. We walked and walked some more.

Finally we hit a fence. We could see where we wanted to be on the other side, but there was no direct route. So we followed the fence around, hoping it would eventually lead us to an entrance of sorts. And it did. But this was our first real sense of how much building work is still ongoing in Valencia. It is Spain's third-largest city, and yet it is still relatively undiscovered (save for the America's Cup being held there earlier this year). As a result of this newfound interest in the city, it seems there is a push to make it as tourist friendly as possible as quickly as possible.

Once outside the Ciutat, we sat a while and took some photos, then walked around the complex a little, down as far as the Oceanogràfic, which is an enooooormous aquarium type thing. We wanted to see how much it cost to get in and what the opening hours were for the Sunday, which we did.

But we had walked a long way from the hotel, and we knew we had to get back eventually. First, though, Red was keen to make our way to the Shop of the America's Cup, down in the port, in the hopes of buying a little something for her mum. So, off we set, following our trusty map. We came out from the Oceanogràfic and chucked a left. It looked a bit ... undeveloped ... but that's all good. We walked past some tourists on a corner who looked lost. But we had our map and we rounded the corner, only to find there was nowhere to go.

We doubled back and asked the tourists if they were looking for the port, too. They were. The six of us were now on a combined mission...

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, that tree was amazing! (I couldn't watch the whole vid cuz I started getting motion sickness)(I'm such a pussy.)

28 November, 2007 15:21  
Blogger Milla said...

What a magnificient tree, just great.
And you walked and walked and strolled around and walked and walked...

28 November, 2007 15:43  
Blogger furiousBall said...

I appreciate stuff like that tree so much. Nature can do some cool stuff if you don't F with it.

28 November, 2007 16:52  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

That was great. May I ask if that was your voice I heard talking while moving the video camera or whatever you are using? LOL..

28 November, 2007 17:13  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

i LOVE trees like that! how awesome! and i love that you compared it to the tree in pan's... that tree was incredible.

i love reading your travel blogs. can't wait to pick up where you left off...

28 November, 2007 17:25  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Franki: My vids have that effect on you. Pussy.

Milla: Hey, you're getting an understanding of how this weekend went, I think!

F/ball: Nature is a wondrous thing, and no messing. And no messing is the best thing for it.

28 November, 2007 18:46  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Tweetey: Yep, that was my voice you were hearing there!

Martha: Hey, Pan's wasn't a bad little flick, so I don't mind referring to it! Stay tuned for more tomorrow...

28 November, 2007 18:47  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Strong accent I was hearing. LOL.. You sound like a nice soul from what I heard though. I havent seen Pans Labrynth yet. But have heard some good and bad reviews on it.

29 November, 2007 17:04  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Tweetey: Strong accent?! I don't have an accent!

29 November, 2007 22:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to climb that tree. and the little peek-a-boo hole, neat. Can't wait to see more.

30 November, 2007 00:49  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

You should sounded that way to me. You have to remember that you cant hear it yourself. LOL... You know living with a Texan for 19 years of my life I have a good ear for accents. LOL.. My dad is from Texas. But you sounded like you had an accent I apologize if you dont... LOL.. I am laughing so hard on that one. You still very sweet still. Your wife must be a very lucky lady.

30 November, 2007 16:01  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

RefPo: I'm not a big tree climber. I remember seeing my brother come falling out of one once. I think he broke his leg. Kind of put me off.

Tweetey: I was just kidding. To you guys, for sure I'll have an accent. To me, you will! She's lucky, I'm lucky, we're ALL lucky!

30 November, 2007 18:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I broke my arm in 3 places riding a bicycle at 5. Didn't stop me. Go climb a tree!!!

01 December, 2007 03:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?