Thursday, September 27, 2007

Holiday stories, part 5: Some miscellaneous great things

You may be right to be growing bored of this. I'm dragging it out a bit, but what with one thing and another, it's just taking me a long time. Soz.

Ten random things that were great about Sicily:

1. I cannot say enough good things about the Hotel Villa Carlotta in Taormina. Look at this cool lizard, too, which I snapped at the side of their pool. He rocked. I called him Eddie Lizzard. I called all the lizards that. It never stopped being funny. For me.

Eddie Lizzard

2. The breakfasts at the aforementioned hotel, and the great treatment we received from the breakfast staff, including Maria and Loredana. This was the view.

Breakfast view

3. The loveliness from everyone there, including also Riccardo and Alfio.

4. The great vibe, day or night, wherever you walked or sat. The people-watching was hugely enjoyable.

Notturno con motorino
Catanesi con fontana

5. The statue of Emperor Sideshow Bob in Catania.

Emperor Sideshow Bob


6. The water. The water. The water. My God, the water.

7. The views, almost everywhere you went, were simply breathtaking. And I don't mean in the Seinfeld way.

View from Teatro Greco


8. This pimped-up satellite dish, which is being used here to represent delicious food, even from cheap takeaway joints.

Pimped satellite dish


9. Going somewhere that Phil Keoghan has been for The Amazing Race, the Roman Amphitheatre in Catania.

Roman Amphitheatre head

10. The ceramics. We knew we couldn't come away without buying some ceramics as a reminder of our wonderful holiday. We ended up buying just over £200 worth, safe in the knowledge that we could get them shipped over very cheaply (they quoted us just £35 for shipping including insurance) so we wouldn't have to worry about carrying them ourselves or any damage incurred. Plus they threw in a 10 per cent discount on the ceramics, too. Here are the two pieces I chose outright: a trinacria, the symbol of Sicily; and a Sacred Heart acquasantiera, a holy-water dispenser, which we kind of collect as and when we find nice ones.


Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Never boring! I am, however, growing increasingly jealous and I feel an overwhelming desire to hop on a plane to Sicily...

27 September, 2007 11:58  
Blogger Milla said...

Oh I love that acquasantiera! I might steal it from you one day.

27 September, 2007 13:49  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

I love the satellite dish.

27 September, 2007 16:06  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great pics! I particularly like Eddie Lizard (awww) Emperor Sideshow Bob (ho ho) and the satellite dish - I want one of those.

BTW is that a Lammy or a Vespa outside the cafe? I need to know this stuff.

27 September, 2007 16:10  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Fab images.

Puss

27 September, 2007 16:29  
Blogger Avid Andy said...

nice pictures. what kind of camera do you have?

27 September, 2007 17:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you imagine going to work everyday in paradise? How nice to be somewhere it is calm and beautiful everywhere you look. Nice pottery.

27 September, 2007 17:45  
Blogger furiousBall said...

holy moly, is there anything not beautiful there?

27 September, 2007 17:48  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I love that emperor Side Show Bob shot!

Beautiful photos!

28 September, 2007 17:01  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Side Show Bob is a gem.

That dish is too small to give me ideas on my neighbours. Think I'll just smash it the punk way.

Sicily is on my to do list. Living to at least 120 is becoming mandatory....

28 September, 2007 17:23  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

love love love it. all of it.

and not getting bored. more envious perhaps. but not bored.

28 September, 2007 18:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eddie Lizard.

Hehe!

I get it.

29 September, 2007 12:23  
Blogger Biddie said...

You're right - absolutely breathtaking - in non-Seinfeld way.
I am soo envious. The closest that I have ever come to italy is that restsurant down the road....SIGH.....

29 September, 2007 16:58  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

nice ceramics! I can see how you couldn't resist.

30 September, 2007 11:58  
Blogger Suze said...

It looks beautiful, you just made me so jealous. I will be lucky if we make it to Skegness this year. Lol

30 September, 2007 21:07  
Blogger Gardenia said...

More stunning photos!! You really do have a knack for getting some "prize" photos - very artistic - everything looked beautiful there - even the little lizard. We have some little fellows here - I talk to them. Yeh, yeh, yeh. Then the cats murder them.

03 October, 2007 05:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?