Friday, September 21, 2007

Holiday stories, part 3

So, yeah, we were at Isola Bella, and it was wicked. Then this happened:



Can you imagine? Shoes. Washing away. Talk about drama!

Then we went for a boat ride around Isola Bella. I've got some cool footage of that too, and I'll upload it soon. I haven't even taken it off the tape and on to my hard drive yet, but maybe over the weekend I'll get around to it.

It was totally awesome. I wore my bandana and looked just like a pirate, specifically I looked just like Johnny Depp. Proper gorgeous I was. We got to this amazing patch of still, clear water (which all of it is) and the skipper turned off the engine and said, in Italian: "Have a swim if you like." There was an older English couple who didn't understand what he said and they were concerned about what was going on.

"I think he said we could have a swim," said the man to his wife.
"Is he joking?" asked the wife of her man.

But I guess they found that he wasn't when people started jumping in. Several people had a go. The water, he told us, was about 30m (100ft) deep. But it was soooo clear that Red could see her feet as she trod water. Insania!

I'm not a great swimmer, and by the time I'd plucked up the balls to have a splash around -- after Red had told me how salty it was, and so how it would be impossible to drown! -- the skip turned the engine back on. Oh well.

After the trip was over we headed for a bite to eat at an unassuming little beachside restaurant. We both ordered seafood dishes, and while we were eating, the waiter came over to the table next to us with three or four fish in his hands. "Which one would you like?" he asked them. "They were caught ten minutes ago by that guy over there," he added, pointing to a fisherman fiddling around with his boat. The fish was that fucking fresh it was alive just minutes earlier! Man... Sicily is rockin' it old school, no doubt.

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow. you guys don't make it easy for me to keep living in dallas, texas. sometimes i just can't believe there are places like this in the world, and yet i live in ugly ol' dallas.

bleck. oh well :(

21 September, 2007 19:56  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

oh... and i'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! i didn't mean to be a downer... hahaha. i'm so selfish ;)

21 September, 2007 19:57  
Blogger Avid Andy said...

wow those flip flops almost got away. i had the same feeling when i am watching a nature show and the crew is filming a baby seal starving because it's mother died.... stop filming and give the baby seal a sandwich. red would have never forgiven you if she had to walk the jagged rocks shoeless. we want to see pictures of * pirate.

21 September, 2007 21:07  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Martha: Sorry, pet. It's just, y'know, y'gotta get all this stuff out while it's fresh (ish), right? Dallas is ugly, is it? And yet it looked so good in the opening credits of the eponymous TV show back in the 80s...

Andy: The original soundtrack had me talking exactly like it was one of those wildlife shows. I was gonna just redub it with a scripted version, but I don't got the time, bud. Pirate pix to follow!

21 September, 2007 22:50  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

haha... i guess dallas isn't necessarily ugly compared to most U.S. cities... but it's certainly ugly compared to all the lovely places you and red visit.

22 September, 2007 00:48  
Blogger Red said...

Martha: Don't forget that we only VISIT these beautiful places! It's not like we live there (unfortch). Believe me, where we live, in the words of JD Fortune, it ain't pretty.

22 September, 2007 08:16  
Blogger Milla said...

I laughed like mad at the flip flops! Thank you for cheering me up in this cold Saturday morning. Brrrrrrr. When I look outside my window and then at the waters and the beautiful mermaid of your video I miss the sun and the light so much!
A beautiful place indeed you went to.

22 September, 2007 09:22  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Caz's godfather once lived in Sicily. Seriously. He made me a bit nervous...

That place is too too beautiful.

22 September, 2007 13:49  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

I have to go.

Puss

22 September, 2007 20:55  
Blogger Suze said...

Asterisk, it looks wonderful. I'm sure that foot fetishists would enjoy this clip too! Lol

22 September, 2007 22:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so nice there the flip flops when on vacation! Cute shoes too. I think I'll take Reds advice and hit Sicily when I take one of my dream trips. Sounds wonderful.

23 September, 2007 15:22  
Blogger Gardenia said...

This trip has been something to remember forever it seems. Fresh caught fish, swimming in crystal clear non-sinkable waters? Sigh...............

24 September, 2007 00:32  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

I love very fresh fish! Here in Ontario, we have a lot of lakes that hold walleye, or as they're sometimes called here, pickerel. The 'shore lunch' is a popular event among those who hire a local guide to take them out fishing. The idea is to catch a mess of walleye in the morning and stop on an island in the middle of the lake for lunch. Fried fresh walleye fillets are an awesome fish experience.

24 September, 2007 12:35  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

Ha...funny man. I sat here in my cubicle watching with a huge smile on my face. I wanted them to wash away and her get mad that you sat and filmed them.

24 September, 2007 19:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?