Monday, August 13, 2007

Miss Milla, nooo! We will not let you go!

So, Saturday was the big day. The day of the MIRL between me and Red, and Milla and Zorro. We threw caution to the wind when arranging our meet, and it was decided to get together not in public or on neutral ground; rather, the venue was Milla's house, which is about 42 miles (67 km) away from us. It's funny, when we lived in London, it would take us about 75 minutes to drive 12 miles across London to see friends. These days we can do 42 miles in less than an hour when traffic conditions are favourable.

We arrived at 1.15pm to be greeted by Milla walking down her front path towards us. We met at the gate. The two girls kissed and hugged hello. Then I, too, had my turn. Red and Zorro kissed hello; he and I shook hands in a manly fashion. We entered their home and went straight through into the back garden.

It was a glorious day. You could even say it was a touch too glorious: although we stood and sat in it chatting and drinking for a while, when it came to sitting down to eat, we moved to the shade. I felt bad for Zorro, who loves being in the sun, but it was just too hot for the rest of us. It was hot for Pisko the cat, too, who spent much of the time trying to cool his belly in the shade.

Milla had cooked lasagne, and Zorro barbecued a trout for each of us. With the salads and giant mushrooms and the rest of the food, there was enough for a truly long and sociable lunch. Everything was delicious, but I can't remember the last time I ate so much! There were even two tiramisus: one that we brought with us and one that Milla made!


Don't you just hate self-timer pictures?
Someone always gets cut out of the shot...


We ate and drank and chatted. We talked about work and tattoos and chavs and blogs and travel and home and family and cats and how we met our partners -- essentially, all the most important things in life. And the next thing we knew it was 8pm. Where had the day gone? We chatted some more, but knew that the evening would soon have to come to an end. About 9pm we headed to the front door for the 10-minute goodbyes. It's nice when goodbyes take a wee while; it's like you're delaying the inevitable.

It was a great day we had for our first MIRL. Within minutes we were comfortable with each other, which came as no real surprise. What was a surprise, though, was the fact that we have mutual friends/acquaintances. Milla and Zorro know some photographers that I used to work with quite regularly a few years back. That was bizarre. London is a big city, and yet it's a small world, right?

One of the strangest things was what to call one another. I think everyone was called at least two names and possibly three in some cases. When you get accustomed to someone being a certain name, it can be strange to have to change that thought process!

Thanks, guys, for a great day. Here's to the next time! I keep thinking of other things that I should add to this post. I feel like there's so much to say. But I have to stop somewhere, right. So I'll stop here. Now. End. Fin.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Glamourpuss said...

There you go, blog meets life and all is well in the world. Glad you had a fun time.

Puss

13 August, 2007 09:56  
Blogger Milla said...

Yeah, it was an excellent day. Well worth the agitation and sleeping only 2.5 hours the night before! ah ah

13 August, 2007 10:24  
Blogger Pie said...

LOL, excellent title!

It is a very small world isn't it? And names are confusing things, especially when you know someone from a screen-name.

Sounds like it was a good meet-up.

13 August, 2007 10:36  
Blogger Sheamus the... said...

oh meeee...that did seem like a pleasent time.

13 August, 2007 13:49  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

What a great day you sound like you had...I've worked my way through all the posts and the pleasure has spread...I am so pleased to hear you had such a positive experience of meeting up with folks from online! Dispel the myths I say!

You are a fine looking group I must say, smiling and aehlthy and happy looking...the food just sounds increible...two tiramisus? I would have tried to eat them both! I am so hungry now it's crazy...

Fascinating the mutual aquaintances huh and the "almost meets" of the past. Really wonderful!

13 August, 2007 15:57  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

yay! i'm so glad it went so well. the blog friends i've made who live near by have integrated into my group of friends, and i know see them pretty often (one i see all the time). it's so funny how that works.

and you better believe i tell everyone we met online... it's so funny the reactions you get. hahaha!

i hope you get to have more MIRLs in the near future! as i said before, once you start, it's hard to look back :)

13 August, 2007 16:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! Good people, good food, good drink and time that zooms by. Whats not to like?

14 August, 2007 02:56  
Blogger Avid Andy said...

sounds like a good time. too bad there is this big ocean separating all of us.

14 August, 2007 05:05  
Blogger Milla said...

My Reflecting Pool:
"Whats not to like? "

The garlic they all had!

14 August, 2007 08:41  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

p.s. i LOVE the title of this post.

one of my all-time favorite songs.

14 August, 2007 16:23  
Blogger Gardenia said...

This is so much fun to read about your meet from two perspectives!

15 August, 2007 01:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Thanks all. I've been a bit crap at reply comments lately, but I'm here and appreciating yours!

It was a fab day. Have I got the MIRL fever now? Maybe...

15 August, 2007 11:40  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

How excellent. I've had three MIRLs and they all went very, very well. I'm glad you all had such a great time together!

15 August, 2007 16:44  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Look at all of you so cute! That's excellent. Just sorry we didn't get a chance to MIRL before I left... still... if you ever come to South Africa...

16 August, 2007 07:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pleased and reassured by the footwear on display. Much calmness now.

19 August, 2007 09:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?