Friday, July 20, 2007

Aloha, baby!

I love Hawaiian shirts. Always have, always will. Winter, spring, summer, or fall, I will wear a Hawaiian shirt gladly.

But there has long been a problem for me where the Hawaiian shirt is concerned: on the sunniest of days when I want to protect my tattoos and yet still look the shiznit (yes, I wrote shiznit; that's how hip hop I can be at times), the Hawaiian shirt fails me. "What I really need," I used to ponder to myself and anyone unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity, "is a Hawaiian shirt with long sleeves."

Wife thought this was ridiculous. She shared my desire with Mother-in-Law, who said that surely no such thing existed.

"Maybe it doesn't," I replied. "But why not?"

So I looked online. This was about five years ago. And while looking for long-sleeved Hawaiian shirts I came across the website of Alohaland. There they proudly proclaim: "Because we make Hawaiian shirts we can do them any way you want them." And right next to this is a clicky button marked "Long Sleeves".

Every summer since then I have gone back to this website, longing for the day I get my shit in order and buy some of their shirts. That day was yesterday, my friends. I placed an order for three long-sleeves and one short-sleeve. They don't come cheap once you factor in shipping charges to the UK from Oregon and the very high likelihood of having to pay up to 25 per cent on top in import duty on arrival, but the way I figure it, (a) I can't buy the suckers over here anyway, and (b) whenever I see a shirt I like over here they always cost about £80-100 (US$160-200) each, and I just won't pay that kind of money.

With the dollar/sterling exchange rate being what it is, it seemed the right time to order. And I'm told the shirts will be with me in time for my hols, which rocks!

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

congratulations! i can't believe you found long-sleeved hawaiian shirts! i don't think i've ever seen one.

you'll have to take some snappy pictures of you in your snappy long-sleeves on vacay.

we'll look forward to them... for shizzle (see, i can be hip-hop, too)

20 July, 2007 17:28  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

hawaiian shirts? long sleeve?

oh dear.

well we all have our little foibles I suppose....

20 July, 2007 18:16  
Blogger Biddie said...

My Hubby LOVES Hawiian shirts. ( He says that when you are as big as he is, you can wear whatever you want).
I would LOVE, LOVE, to find some long sleeve ones in his size. It would be like Christmas in July.....

20 July, 2007 18:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just seems so out of the spirit of Hawaii. But good for you for getting what you want. who knows. Maybe you just started a global fashion trend.

20 July, 2007 22:23  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Bowl me over...I never would have imagined you liking Hawaiian shirts...how did you like that tiki bar post I made last week?

I think there is something nice about the idea of a long sleeved Hawaiian shirt...I lvoe dresses made out of hawaiin fabric. I actually have a sarong of hawaiian shirt fabric. I love it!

What is especially nice about these shirts and fabrics...and I don't think a lot of people understand, is part of the attraction, is the fabric these shirts are made out of...and I'm guessing even new versions are using the old fashioned fabric which is quite often...rayon (which is a wood based "silk" no?)

And the way this fabric hangs and feels is fantastic! I love dresses from it...with or without the patterns...

Congrats on having one of those "moments" in life when you actually pursue and accomplish what might be an errand but becomes monumetous...have fun!

21 July, 2007 14:41  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

p.s. I'm checking out the link and it totally rocks...uh oh...I see more sarongs in my future...and I see that what I enjoy is the cotton...I guess it's the weight of the cotton that feels so good...

21 July, 2007 14:45  
Blogger Gardenia said...

So - if I move there I can begin a business and possibly get rich sewing long sleeved H. shirts? I have a really cool fashion idea - add the sleeves to an aleady existing shirt, something like my fish fabric - wouldn't that be fun?

23 July, 2007 03:56  
Blogger Milla said...

I discovered during the last cineforum night that I knew all the words of the songs by the Beach Boys. Do you think I should buy one of these for myself too? ah ah can you imagine :-D

23 July, 2007 13:33  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Look at all you guys, hating on the long-sleeve! Only Candy there to support my insanity! What gives?

Candy: they do use rayon, as well as cotton and something else.

23 July, 2007 17:28  
Blogger Milla said...

I don't hate the long sleeve! I never even said that! I only said 'ah ah' :-D

24 July, 2007 15:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?