Thursday, June 21, 2007

Running around like a blue-arsed fly

That's a particularly fun turn of phrase, don't you think? Anyways...

You know that song "These Boots Are Made for Walking" by Nancy Sinatra? Whoever wrote that had never spent a couple of hours pounding the streets of London in a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars. And I don't care how much you love David Tennant as the Doctor, there is no way any being, not even a Time Lord, can spend his entire life wearing them, not with all the running and galaxy hopping and Earth saving he has to do.

But wait, this morning I had a pretty damn good idea. I removed the padded inner soles from my trainers (or sneakers or tennis shoes, if you prefer) and put them inside my Chucks (or Cons or All Stars, if you prefer), and hey fucking presto I suddenly have some footwear fit for wearing on my feet.

Cos today I had to pound the tiled floors of the mall to grab some T-shirts and stuff, so I didn't want to make my feet even more blistered than they were yesterday.

Speaking of yesterday, the dental hygienist was very gentle. Never has a dental hygienist been so gentle with my mouth. I think it's because she's more accustomed to working with special-needs children. And you know, my eyes didn't water once either, so (although I certainly won't admit that I ever cry in the dentist's chair) I'm beginning to wonder if the pain of the hygienist somehow makes my eyes water (not cry, though).

She said... Well, what didn't she say? She is quite the talker. But she said I was doing well and to keep up the good work. I love when the dentist or hygienist tells me that. Over the past six or seven years I have spent a lot of money on my teeth -- more than I've spent on tattooing in 17 years -- and although I still don't treat them as well as I should (who does?), I wouldn't want to go back to those dark days of poor upkeep and infrequent check-ups.

For those who don't know what The X Factor is, it's an American Idol type of show in which there are three mentors, each of whom has a bunch of artists: one has 16- to 24-year olds; one, over-25s; and the last, groups. After all the usual audition rounds and eliminations that these shows go through, the viewers at home get to vote off one artist each week until only one remains. So, it's a singing contest, rather than a Britain's Got Talent type thing.

I'm slowly getting out from under my hectic workload. It's fun watching as the number of projects reduces, ready for a slightly less manic summer. But before long, as is the freelance way, we'll soon be worrying that we have no work. I vow not to do that until August, though.

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Until August?!? You should put it out of your mind until we're back from Sicily at least! (Although I probably won't...)

21 June, 2007 17:06  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

so glad the dentist appointment went well. and definitely keep us updated about that x-factor brother of yours :)

oooo... and good call adding some padding to your chucks. now you'll never want to take them off!

21 June, 2007 18:56  
Blogger furiousBall said...

man, a gentle dentist is worth their weight in gold. for each visit, i would bring gifts for the receptionists, any assistants , and of course the dentist too.

21 June, 2007 19:36  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Blue-arsed flies don't do much running in the Glamour household, Mitzi Sparkle tends to eat them up as soon as they buzz in her general direction. Good cat. I hate the fuckers.

Puss

21 June, 2007 20:08  
Blogger martinobhoy said...

I've never understood the origins of that phrase. Were there two people in a room one day and one said "Would you look at the fly buzzing about." and the other said "I wonder what colour its arse is?"

21 June, 2007 21:23  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Less work? Magic!

I was born to be rich and idle but, sadly, have only yet managed to achieve the idle bit of my destiny....

21 June, 2007 22:05  
Blogger Cynnie said...

You people need to get water piks !!.
I was looking online for a waterpik to give to a friend in the uk..and I couldnt find one !..

I have fabulous teeth..and i swear it due to my waterpik..
it gets out gunk that brushing and flossing just can't get.

GET ONE!!

22 June, 2007 03:46  
Blogger Milla said...

I'm happy for you it went so well at the dentist. And that your workload is reducing. I like your "almost the end of the week" posts, like this one and the one from last Friday. They are so relaxed and gentle and full of love for life. No, really :)

22 June, 2007 08:54  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Converse always blistered my feet. My grandson got some to be hot - but his poor feet blistered also. There is a price!

25 June, 2007 02:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a sad idiot and you really need to get a life and get out more and stop writing this drivel and being a disgrace to Britain's already tattered reputation. Do you really want people from other parts of the world to think that British people are as superficial and retarded as you appear to be on the basis of this blog? I'm telling you this to help you. Go and do something worthwhile, get out in your community and make a difference instead of wasting your life writing this crap. Do you really think anyone is interested in anything you have to say anyway? Your hubris, your ignorance and the sheer boredom of your life appals me. Please help Britain before it becomes filled with people like you.

03 July, 2007 10:44  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Well, Anon, you spent long enough here, reading and typing your comment -- more than 6 minutes in total, according to my SiteMeter, so perhaps it is you who is the sad, retarded cunt. If you are so appalled by my life, don't come back. You won't be missed.

03 July, 2007 10:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?