Friday, April 20, 2007

A upbeat story for the end of the week

The theme of this story is "My greatest moment involving music". I wrote it as a fill-in post for a blogger when he was on holiday, but he never used it (sufferin' succotash!). Never one to throw anything away that can be recycled, I present it here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy...


Once upon a time, in 1996, I was in Charing Cross Library*, central London, looking for the Blade Runner soundtrack CD when I caught sight of an attractive girl browsing the library computer for something. It looked like she was on the Manic Street Preachers page. As she made her way to the counter, I took my CD and joined her there.

"Oh," she said, looking at my Manic Street Preachers T-shirt, "did you go and see them last night?"

"No," I replied, "the night before."

"I was there too," she countered, enthusiastically. "Great, wasn't it?"

Then the counter guy asked her what she was looking for. She told him The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers, on tape. (Tape, eh?)

He typed some stuff and told her it should be in, according to the computer, but that it's not.

"Okay, thanks," she said, and walked off, saying bye to me as she went.

I paused. It seemed like a long time, but I suppose it was only a few seconds really. "Hold on!"

She stopped, and I walked over to her. "I can tape it for you if you like."

We arranged for her to call me at work a couple of days later, from which point we could arrange to meet up and I'd give her the tape.

And you know what? Reader, I married her.

* NOTE: No, the gorgeous library pictured above is not Charing Cross Library; it's the library at La Real Academia de la Lengua, in Madrid, apparently.

Labels: , , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Aah, thinking about that encounter still makes my eyes go all squinty (attractive...) with glee and excitement!

20 April, 2007 16:21  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

Wow, this story has everything, romance, public buildings, illegal music piracy...

Puss

20 April, 2007 17:15  
Blogger martinobhoy said...

I knew I should have been hanging round libraries all these years instead of pubs. Why did no-one tell me these things when I was younger?

20 April, 2007 17:17  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

That is one of the best!!!!

Look at you *, pausing, thinking about hey wait a minute...don't let that girl get away!

I love it!

What a good way to end the week...and relieve some sadness from a couple weeks of really shitty news stories.

20 April, 2007 17:26  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Red: Yeah, it's not a bad tale to tell our grandcats, is it?

G/puss: All the key elements of any good tale, surely.

Martino: Yeah, who'd've thunk, right? I guess if you want smart girls, a library's a good place to start (even if it was the music section).

Candy: Thanks, doll. I felt we needed a bit of cheer, even if it is a bit self-y and historic and covering some ground that has been covered here before. So sue me, right? Have a great weekend.

20 April, 2007 17:33  
Blogger Karen said...

What a beautiful story! For some reason it makes me want to cry...but in a good way (I think?).

20 April, 2007 18:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the award for "cutest blogging couple ever", goes to...

* and Red.

You're two are so sweet it makes my teeth hurt.

20 April, 2007 19:31  
Blogger _z. said...

ahhhhhhhhh... so that's how it all began!

great story :)

20 April, 2007 19:55  
Blogger Tamarai said...

OH how sweeet!!!

So we should never be afraid of talking to the gorgeous woman in the library cos she might be the One. Noted.

20 April, 2007 20:28  
Blogger Judith said...

*something in my eye again* sniff*No more riding on motorcycle emptiness eh? Was the proposal as romantic as your first encounter?

20 April, 2007 21:41  
Blogger me said...

you soppy old sod!

nice to find out how people meet their soul mates. i'd tell mine, but being pissed on new years eve doesn't have the same appeal!

20 April, 2007 23:06  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

Oooooh, that is just adorable!!!! I like a good love story!

20 April, 2007 23:08  
Blogger Gardenia said...

That is so sweet - you are a romanticist you know? Lovely library, did you guys take the photo?

21 April, 2007 02:51  
Blogger Shep said...

Home taping is killing real music.

Heh.

(Have you read Kieron Gillen's Phonogram yet? You'd love it)

21 April, 2007 07:25  
Blogger Milla said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is so romantic!
Wonderful post *A.

21 April, 2007 13:38  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Karen: Hopefully in a good way!

Manini: Thanks. But I think a trip to the dentist is in order...

_z.: Yup, way back when.

Tanya: See, every story has a moral.

Judith: The proposal could have been as romantic, but then the Chinese takeaway arrived...

21 April, 2007 17:00  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Cappy: Soppy old cloth cat. Ah, those romantic New Year's Eves, yes...

Olives: He he, thanks.

Gardenia: Found the library pic online. It's from Madrid, Spain. I'll take one of "our library" next time I'm in London.

Shep: Home taping is all right, really. Not read that book (nor even heard of it, I'm afraid).

Milla: Awwww, thanks!

21 April, 2007 17:03  
Blogger lightupvirginmary said...

That gave me a thrill! I love reading your guys blogs and finding out bits and bobs, and that was a like a massive treasure!
Really cool.

22 April, 2007 19:46  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

LUVM: Aww shucks. Thanks!

23 April, 2007 10:55  
Blogger Odat said...

Just AWWWWWWWWWWWW.
Peace

23 April, 2007 11:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?