Saturday, March 03, 2007

Have you got a smaller one?

So, it turns out that Red doesn't like my new David Lynch Signature Cup Organic Espresso coffee, which came all the way from California in a super-smashing-great stylish black tin that sounds like it vacuum seals when you close it.

This should come as no surprise to those of you who already know how much that wife of mine dislikes David Lynch and all that he does.

More often than not, though, we only need a small cup of espresso each, so we use our three-cup moka stove-top Italian espresso coffee-making thing. We also call it a cuccuma.

And should the occasion arise that I need a cup of espresso when she doesn't, then I opt for the dinky one-cup version that I have.

But if she won't drink Lynch stuff, then we both need a one-cup machine. So off we went to buy one.

We tried three or four stores, including places like John Lewis and House of Fraser. No joy. Then we walked past Whittards, the tea and coffee folk. Surely, if anywhere....

"Excuse me," I say, holding aloft the three-cup model from the shelf, "have you got this in a smaller size?"

"No," replies the clerk, "that's the smallest one."

"Well," I counter, "it's not the smallest one in the world, is it? I mean, you can get smaller ones. You just don't stock them, yes? You can get them for one cup, you see."

She seemed bemused.

We exited the store, empty handed and empty hearted.

Guess we'll have to wait till our next trip to Italy. Ooh, sudden brainwave. Maybe I can get one in Soho next Tuesday...

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Milla said...

Is the word 'cuccuma' from Red's dialect? In my own dialect we call this coffee machine 'kogoma': not so different from Red's eh?
I have one for 3 cups which I put on the stove every single morning for breakfast. Actually, it's always on the stove, coz I think it makes the kitchen look Italian! ah ah

Try the shop Divertimenti, they might have the ones for one cup. Or...I'm going to Italy in May, if you can wait until then I will bring/send you one.

03 March, 2007 19:30  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Interesting what happens when you force people off their scripts.

03 March, 2007 21:19  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

is there a "soho" in england, too?

or were you dropping a hint that you're going to new york city? (excuse my ignorance... i'm sure i'm making something out of nothing and EVERYONE knows there's a soho in england. hahaha... oh well)

good luck... maybe you can find one online, yes?

http://tucano.stores.yahoo.net/bialmok1cup.html

04 March, 2007 01:04  
Blogger Gardenia said...

I would highly recommend a Braun Tassimo. Besides a great one-cup expresso, you can get one-cup cappuchino, latte, hot chocolate, green tea, a variety of coffees.

You can look at it by going to Tassimo.com

The expresso maker you have pictured - you can find it in one of my dark doll charcoals - I bought it back from Albania, but I don't know how to use it....any suggestions?

04 March, 2007 01:16  
Blogger Karen said...

One of the few times that size does matter, eh?

04 March, 2007 01:44  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Milla: Funny you should ask. I asked her if it was dialect before I posted, but she thought it was proper Italian, so we don't really know. Thanks for your kind offer, but I'll look in Soho Tuesday, and if not, hopefully we'll be going to Italy before May anyway. I'll keep you posted.

04 March, 2007 09:12  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Tanya: I'm sure I came across as a pedantic cunt, but Red sez I sounded charming and funny. Maybe it's those rose-tinted spex I bought her...

Martha: Yes, there's a Soho (with lower-case h) in central London. The original Soho. Watch your beloved Johnny Depp in From Hell again and I'm sure you'll hear it referenced several times.

04 March, 2007 09:13  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Gardenia: If the model is more or less the same, you fill the bottom with water, put in the middle bit (the bit that looks like a showerhead) and put your ground coffee into it, then screw the top part on nice and tight and place the whole thing on the stove top. When the water boils, it passes through the coffee, which infuses the liquid, which is then siphoned into the top part. Once the top part is full, pour and enjoy.

04 March, 2007 09:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Karen: Well, as a man, I would say, yes, one of the very very very few times when size does matter.

04 March, 2007 09:17  
Blogger me said...

tesco sometimes sell a dinky one!

04 March, 2007 15:30  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Thanks - I'll give it a try!

04 March, 2007 16:07  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

I've got a dinky

04 March, 2007 17:29  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

being that I like at least 6 oz of espresso at a time. I don't understand one cup at a time. I am amazed at your self control!

04 March, 2007 23:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Cappy: That's worth knowing, thanks.

Gardenia: I hope that works out for you.

4D: Have you, sir?

Olives: Wow! 6oz is quite something. I bet that makes for a good party piece!

05 March, 2007 09:09  
Blogger Cynnie said...

I have a couple of those !..they sell them all over the place..

Want me to send you one ?..I can get them up to six cup size

05 March, 2007 16:03  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Cynnie: I may yet take you up on that, thanks... Watch this space!

05 March, 2007 17:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?