Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The return

I know it's still technically Christmastime for people who work in offices and stuff, but for most real people it's already time to be back at work. I guess since I work in publishing, I'm actually an office boy, but working from home means such holidays don't apply, and so I'm back at it too. Still, I can't quite bring myself to start work without writing a few words here first.

Santa was good to me this year, as he so often is. That said, Red and I always set a fairly modest budget for ourselves to spend on each other, so it's more a case that we use our imaginations and try to buy each other lots of cool little things like CDs, DVDs, and books.

Among other books I received Cormac McCarthy's The Road in hardback, which had been on my wishlist since Candy wrote this post on her blog. I've only read three pages so far, and although I didn't like the style of the first page and I don't like the lack of apostrophes in the words "can't", "won't", "hadn't", etc, I do have high hopes for the story.

I had a few DVDs, too, including the Criterion edition of Sam Fuller's The Naked Kiss, so look out for a review of that at Such As They Are over the coming days. I already have a list of nine films waiting to be reviewed over there, so keep checking it out for updates. Earlier today I posted my 60th review over there: Tears of the Sun. And why not link the site while you're at it? Links mean love, and I'll obviously give you a link in return. xxx

On the subject of movies, I got a subscription to Sight & Sound magazine. I used to subscribe years ago, but I stopped... Not sure why, now. But I feel so out of touch with what's new in film despite spending time at other movie-review sites. The main problem is that so few of the movie sites I have found give any real space to non-Hollywood films, and that is something I miss. This subscription will redress the balance.

The biggest present I received was a whole absinthe kit and caboodle: a bottle of the drink itself, two glasses, one of those snazzy sugar spoons, and an iced-water dispenser with two taps. It looks great, and I'm looking forward to getting tucked in. Once I do, I'll take a pic and post it here. Red is keen that I don't go insane on the absinthe and murder her, though.

I hope you all had your Christmas wishes and dreams come true.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay!

red, ya done good, girl ;)

i'm so happy you had a happy Christmas and received all your heart's little desires.

and i had to go back to work the day after Christmas (meaning, i had to drive back to dallas from small town, west texas on Christmas day! yuck)

27 December, 2006 19:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easy there Trigger with the Absinthe but I look forward to hearing about your dreams and visions. Heh heh.

Yeah, McCarthy stopped using a lot of puntuation more and more over the years. You get so you don't notice it so much...plus, it adds to the feeling of losing track of who is sayingwhat. Characters, time and landscape start to blend and it feels like drinking absinthe.

I'm in my p.j.s still...watching lots of dvds. I got three Madonna LIVE dvds and have been dancing and doing yoga with the Madge.

As for work, take it easy and at least the commute won't kill ya!

I'm popping over to movie reviews....

27 December, 2006 21:21  
Blogger aidanrad said...

Good to hear - sorry, read - you've had a good'un... I look forward to seeing your first blog post written under the absinthe influence...

27 December, 2006 23:28  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

the absinthe they sell today isn't the same nasty potion of the 19th century, although I understand it tastes the same....I think what is missing is wormwood......so I think Red is safe.

27 December, 2006 23:39  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Martha: Thanks. That's a bummer having to drive on Christmas day...

Candy: I'll go steady! Thanks for the background on McCarthy and punctuation. Much appreciated. I'm not sure I'll ever not notice it. It's too engrained as part of my job! Nice to stay in your PJs all day. I half did that yesterday too. But I didn't dance with Madge!

Aidan: Well, I woke up a little hungover today. Not sure if it was the absinthe or the Barolo.

Mr A: Well the wormwood is there, and it's apparently a pre-ban recipe. Also, absinthe was never actually banned in Britain, believe it or not: it's just that production, and therefore supply, dwindled after the 1915 ban. Now it's back and proving very popular.

28 December, 2006 11:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?