Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas

treecool2.jpg

It's finally starting to get a bit Christmassy round at our house.

Yesterday, we finally got around to putting up our arboreal delight. Of course, it's not truly arboreal, because it's fake. I remember having some real trees as a kid, and the bloody pine needles just go everywhere. And Red -- rightly -- thinks it's wrong to cut down so many trees, only to throw them out a couple of weeks later. In accordance with all that and more, we go for that great British institution: the plastic tree.

Back when I was kid, though, it wasn't all real trees. We used to have a plastic one, too. It was silver -- y'know, that most realistic of Christmas-tree colours. Crazy Brits!

Anyway after erecting it yesterday (hee hee, I said "erect"), we decorated it. It looks good. So good, in fact, that I named it. In honour of the drummer from Green Day, we called it Tree Cool. Nice, no?

We didn't have enough lights initially, so we went a bought another string of them. We bought white ones, to provide a counterpoint to the old, coloured ones. And we bought a long garlandy thing with all green and red and gold Christmassy stuff on it, like holly leaves and pine cones. That's now wrapped around the head of our bed. So, it's Christmas in the bedroom, too...

14 Comments:

Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

You still laugh at saying "erect"

Me too.

19 December, 2006 17:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too. I am obsessed with naughty words...sounds like we are still Beavis and Butthead at heart.

What a tree, it's beautiful!!!

19 December, 2006 18:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plastic fibre optic tree for me. Pull it out the box, plug it in and that's it.

Lazy? Me?

19 December, 2006 18:25  
Blogger Karen said...

What's wrong with a silver tree? As long as it means Christmas to you, that's all that matters.

The tree looks very groovy indeed. And garland on the headboard? Who's a naughty boy?

19 December, 2006 20:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice! i LOVE Christmas and everything about it... the music, the decorations, the food, the food, the food... whoops, i sound like a broken record.

anywho, i didn't decorate at home other than pulling out my Christmas candles, but we are having a best decorated cubicle competition at work, and i went all out here.

yay Christmas! and your tree looks very pretty :)

19 December, 2006 22:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice decorations!

Thanks for the advice..! =)

20 December, 2006 03:12  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Excellent!!! Ho HO HO! Makes me think I should post a pic of our tree.

word verif. word: nnacitbm

I said it out in my head as "an acid bum"

20 December, 2006 10:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a wonder that in this day and age we can't genetically modify Christmas trees to instantaneously sprout from a pot, fully grown and containing all manner of fanciful decorations within their branches, only to shrink back into their pots when the time is due.

Alas, science isn't quite as it is portrayed in cartoons. Or perhaps it just needs a mad scientist to start inventing this stuff in his basement.

[runs off to start tinkering with the DNA Adjusting and Mutation Device (patent pending) in his secret laboratory basement, only to discover he has no basement]

Cool tree btw.

20 December, 2006 12:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good...

20 December, 2006 14:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the lights!! No Christmas tree here in Brooklyn:-( Roommate and I didn't get to it, plus the cat would probably tear it down. But there's one waiting for me in Montana!

20 December, 2006 16:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a fake tree to. I hate cutting down trees, even though my mother in law tells me it's okay because they get replanted on the tree farms. I still think its bad. Our tree is 6 ft from base to tip. Not big at all. and it has colored light and unmatching kid decorations on it with gold tinsel garland. All very uncouth and tacky. Just the way I like it. :)

20 December, 2006 23:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a fake tree to. I hate cutting down trees, even though my mother in law tells me it's okay because they get replanted on the tree farms. I still think its bad. Our tree is 6 ft from base to tip. Not big at all. and it has colored light and unmatching kid decorations on it with gold tinsel garland. All very uncouth and tacky. Just the way I like it. :)

20 December, 2006 23:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"tree cool" ouch! going to put a pic of ours up! inspired!

that and the crappy singing things she insists on buying!

22 December, 2006 08:55  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

Of course I saw Tree Cool!!

Merry Christmas to you and Red!

22 December, 2006 16:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?