Monday, November 13, 2006

Whatever became of...? #3

In the third of this occasional series, I ask you to cast your mind waaaaay back to the summer of 1982. You may remember a certain duo that had two Top 20 UK hits and, beyond that, very little else.

"Shotgun, gimme gimme low-down fun, boy," were the words with which they opened their biggest hit, which went on to tell us all about the Duke himself getting some interracial shagging action:

John Wayne, in lover's lane, making whoopee with his squaw,
But his bullet belt starts getting in the way, it's making his life a bore.
So she says to him, "Take off that thing, it's getting right between us."
- "Now listen, honey, I can't do that, not even for you, my sweetness."
- "Well, Big John, if that's a fact, then how d'you propose we do our act?
If that's the way it's gonna be, then get the hell out of my teepee."


You'll be pleased to hear that Big John manages to persuade Speckled Hen to let him stay by informing her, not in so many words, that he will instead take her doggie style.

Ah, the indisputable charms of 1980s pop music. Who said romance was dead?

Haysi Fantayzee, much like the aforementioned romance, are also far from dead. The male member, Jeremy, is a DJ type and he's got some stuff going on this year apparently. (But then has-beens always say that, don't they?) And the girlie one, Kate, returned to photography, the career she left behind when pop stardom beckoned, only to later tell her, "Nah, only joking!"

See, who says you don't learn useful shit at this blog?

As a postscript, I'd also like to draw your attention to a point at which the lyrics to "John Wayne Is Big Leggy" tell us: "He knows what's right, and he knows that God is with him cos he's white". Remind you of any currently serving US president, perhaps?

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

George Bush is Big Leggy? Nah. Not got the same ring to it.

I've got 'em on video from New Years Eve 1989. BBC2 had a long video show called "The Eighties" n I flicked record as we went out.

Kajagoogoo, Culture Club, Milli Vanilli miming n all sorts of weird stuff.

I'll see if I can get it transferred onto cd n put some on Drunk Punk

13 November, 2006 19:46  
Blogger Karen said...

What an ... um ... interesting (?) song. Can't say I remember that one but then again I was only 9 that year. WHen I first looked at that picture I thought the guy was Vincent Cassel.

13 November, 2006 23:15  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Never heard of these guys.

Stagg leaned over and said, Haysi Fantaysee! They're like the white Millie Vanilli!

14 November, 2006 01:31  
Blogger Wendy Ann Edwina D'Cunha e Pereira said...

1982 - I was a kid in school , 5th standard I think... around 10 years old(just out of primary) In a girls only Catholic boarding school... I never heard of these guys...I don't really think I missed anything, if those are the lyrics they composed...

14 November, 2006 08:01  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

4D: I've got that same video. I thought I must be the only person who keeps videos for 17 years, but it seems there are other loons out there, too! I recently transferred it to DVD for safe-keeping. It's a great show.

Karen: An interesting song, indeed! I like Vincent Cassel, but I sort of vaguely ish kinda know what you mean, sort of... You were only 9? Awww. I was 12... All groweds up.

Candy: Shame on you, girl! Stagg knows all the best music, see?!

Wendy: On the contrary, you missed a treat!

14 November, 2006 10:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my word the eighties were shit at times. and heres another.
in fact go HERE and see if you can spot it!

14 November, 2006 10:53  
Blogger Milla said...

The guy at the bottom looks like a VERY young Ginger from The Wildhearts...

14 November, 2006 10:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my god * that was quick! would love to go take pictures for you, but unfortunately/thankfully i am at work that night!
"i predict a riot"

14 November, 2006 11:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Cappy: That is unfortunate. I was wondering whether Mr Degville would still be wearing an orange stocking over his head. Guess I'll never know now...

Milla: I know almost nothing about The Wildhearts, except that a friend of ours LOOOOVES them, especially that Ginger chappie.

14 November, 2006 11:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least the 80's gave us The Smiths and The The. Lots of bands beginning with The in fact.

14 November, 2006 12:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to itunes right now to see if the tune rings a bell. Off the top of my head, I don't recall them. The description as the white Milli Vanilli may be why I don't know them. In '82 I was all about Rocking the casabah with black coffee in bed and michael jackson's thriller ( I know, he's an embarrasment now)

14 November, 2006 12:52  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Aah. The good ole eighties.

And yes, very striking lyrics and very apt.

14 November, 2006 14:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the '80s, thanks for the lesson as I was 3 when that song was out;-)

14 November, 2006 17:31  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

RD: Yes, "the" bands are good. Except I don't really like The Smiths, or The The. But Adam and THE Ants are good. And...

Olives: There must be something on YouTube too. I, too, went through that Thriller phase. Well, I was young; what couls I do?

Tanya: Good little song, ain't it?

LDBug: That's plain crazy -- you're younger than my baby sister!

14 November, 2006 18:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being that i was about 1 years old when they came out... wait thats no excuse because there are lotsa super early 80's bands i love. so nevermind on that.
i thought those were 2 guys doin the girly glam look. lol

just goes to show what i dont know.

14 November, 2006 19:32  
Blogger Suze said...

You just took me back then. There were some really crappy songs back then.

Great days, when guys actually looked smart when they went out. Rather than having their arses hanging out of jeans. lol

14 November, 2006 22:42  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

I must have been too busy listening to Ebn-Ozn, never heard the song or of them. And I was even old enough...

14 November, 2006 23:50  
Blogger Adam Frazier said...

Yo! I need your assistance ASAP over at the blog. I'm calling all the troops in on this one! Please drop whatever you're doing, grab your CDs and meet me at the comments section!

15 November, 2006 05:52  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Yas: No excuse, exactly!

Suze: There's nothing crappy about that song. How very dare you!

Camie: Listening to who?! Guess we're evens stevens now.

Adam: Umm, what do you mean?

15 November, 2006 14:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did enquire as to the possibility of minj going in my stead. she refused.
i guess i will just have to watch for the headlines in the barnsley chronicle!

16 November, 2006 13:02  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Shame on her!

16 November, 2006 14:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?