Sunday, October 15, 2006

News for Palahniuk fans














Separated at birth? Jeff Probst and Chuck Palahniuk


Two cool things to know if you're a Chuck Palahniuk fan.

1. Here is Chuck's personal description of his forthcoming novel, Rant.

"For 'Rant' I borrowed the form of an oral biography, wherein dozens of people are interviewed about the same person, then those interviews are cut together. Like a 'talking head' type of documentary film. The only person not present is the subject: Rant Casey, an updated Huckleberry Finn in a messy, crowded near-future. Cars, traffic, and accidents all play parts, with chunks of the through-line action presented as radio traffic reports. Of course there's a romance. And of course it's confronting and occasionally violent. And sickening or sexy. The glory of the 'oral biography' form is how it allows the story to cut instantly from one plot thread to another, or from the 'camera' perspective of one character to another, while both describe the same event. This let me boil each statement down to the minimal plot point so that the action moves blam, blam, blam through the entire twisted life and death of Rant."


2. Chuck Palahniuk is accepting fanmail right now. He is taking six months or so out of his schedule to reply to each and every letter sent to him with an October postmark. There are rules, though, guys -- and he won't even read ones from stalker types or written in blood. I've got mine almost ready to mail. If you want to join in the fun, check out this page. And to hear him talk about it, go here.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do i know that name?
what has he already written?

15 October, 2006 16:59  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Of course you know the name: Fight Club, Choke, Lullaby, Diary, Invisible Monsters, Survivor, Haunted, Stranger than Fiction, Fugitives and Refugees.

15 October, 2006 17:06  
Blogger Gardenia said...

haven't heard of this guy. hope we get to see his film in U.S.! I'm a horror fan. The website is absolutely lush and lovely. Fight Club sounds familiar - I'll have to do some research.

15 October, 2006 18:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, his description of it is awesome. Can't wait to read it and/or see it. His undertaking with the fan mail is quite noble. I wish him luck. Hope he has a good sturdy wrist brace for the writer's cramp. =P

15 October, 2006 19:18  
Blogger Spaghetti Monster said...

Fight club is awesome but his best work came out last year - a compilation of gruesome horror stories, with one in particular catching my eye. Boys, if you're alone and feel that urge, don't bother, cause in Palahnuik's book, you come to a memorable end.

15 October, 2006 21:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff. Chuck is a real fave of mine, his site is great for aspiring writers. He really is a very open person, not a stuffy celeb. What a change eh?

Rants.........great name for a novel.

16 October, 2006 00:43  
Blogger Suze said...

I must admit that I had never heard of him *blush* but this is a great idea.

16 October, 2006 09:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dur! of course!
but doesn't this mean you have just broken the first rule?

16 October, 2006 10:07  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Thanks for that *. I'm going to have a think about what I can ask him. That's really cool that he's going to answer every letter - what a guy!

16 October, 2006 13:58  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for that.

Word ver. Word: mampl

16 October, 2006 14:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seen and loved Fight Club of course, but hadn't heard of Chuck Whats-his-name. Sure is kinda cute though. Too bad he won't be answering stalker/love letters! ;)

16 October, 2006 16:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. I Love this guys stuff. Well...most of it, but everyone writes a pile of shit now and then I suppose.

Hell, I do it on a daily basis. ;)

Steve~

16 October, 2006 16:32  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

He is totally hands on with his fans. I have a crazy brassy butterfly from him that he sent to Dr.K(Ink Casualty.) along with his own handmade soap! Yikes!

I love the desription of this book, sounds like a fun! Citizen Kane meets Mark Twain!

16 October, 2006 18:22  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

To those of you who don't know Chuck, shame on you! Look at the flak I took for not knowing Brontë.

I have my letter pretty much ready to mail now, and I hope to get it in the post today. If you're going to write, don't forget: the letter must be postmarked October.

Personally, Batman, I am finding Haunted to be a big of a slog. I'm not really a short-story kind of guy. My fave is Fugitives & Refugees, his travel guide-cum-autobiography about Portland, Oregon. An excellent read that really makes you want to visit.

RD: Knew you'd like that name!

Candy: That is some great stuff. I think you'd mentioned the soap to me once before. What a cool gift.

17 October, 2006 04:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd be stunned at all the things I don't know! ;)

17 October, 2006 18:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

And you me, Lee.

18 October, 2006 21:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?