Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Four Weddings overdub shock

So, here it is: the celeb exclusive you've been waiting for. It's at times like this that I most love working in the media, when people slip you the odd bit of gossip. I've been allowed to run this today only because it's going to hit the papers tomorrow.

First of all, for those of you who don't know, actress Andie McDowell was overdubbed in her first film role in Greystoke -- y'know, the Tarzan flick with Christopher Lambert. This was because Andie was a model, and I guess they figured her voice wasn't quite right or something. Could be that her Southern accent was too strong. Indeed, seasoned star Glenn Close did McDowell's voice work for that film.

What is less well known is that she was also dubbed for Four Weddings and a Funeral. I have received a leaked piece of audio from the original takes, and these really show why she needed to be dubbed. It's odd, though, because there are plenty of films in between where her voice was seemingly fine, and she does those ads these days and everything, but what do I know?

As Conan O'Brien says, you couldn't make this stuff up. Why would you? That would be stupid. To hear Andie's original take of her famous line at the end of the film, click here. You may need to turn the volume up, since the sound quality is not great.

19 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Oh you!!! You totally sucked me in...I was waiting and waiting to hear...WHAT!!!!!!

Really, yes, I knew she was dubbed, but for 4 Weddings? That is kinda a scandal wasn't she nominated or something? the movie nominated? Oh maybe that was sex lies and videotape.

Don't tell me she was dubbed for that too?

That must be really embarassing. She is gorgeous, and she is talented, but wouldn't it have been easier to jus hire someone who didn't need dubbing? But she had got a lot of attention from s,l&v and is likely why she was cast in 4Ws.

17 October, 2006 14:53  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I just googled her in movie, and she was hired at the last moment because Jeanne Triplehorn had to back out of contract. So this would help explain how she got hired and then dubbed. I suspect her southern accent must have been inaudible for many viewers? She's toned it way down now, but she did have quite a drawl back in the day.

17 October, 2006 14:57  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Really? Oooh. Suppose she has had some elocution lessons or they have someone doing her lines for her now?

17 October, 2006 15:19  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

My bad! It was here all along, as I teased on you in my last comment... Silly me. I was too anxious to get to Cat's humping post, I guess.

Good fact, I was just hoping to hear something more, eh, juicey.

17 October, 2006 15:22  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Who would have thought it? You can't even tell in Four weddings...or maybe if you watch it again knowing it's dubbed. I don't think I can bear to watch it again though..

17 October, 2006 15:37  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Like I say, you couldn't make this shit up. Why would you? It'd be ridiculous.

17 October, 2006 15:46  
Blogger Will said...

Wow! Next you'll be telling me that deaf guy isn't really deaf.

17 October, 2006 15:48  
Blogger Biddie said...

The burnin g question is...Was she dubbed in the Muppet movie?

17 October, 2006 15:53  
Blogger Milla said...

ahahahahahhhahhaha she was probably dubbed by Kermit the Frog

17 October, 2006 16:25  
Blogger Milla said...

Oh actually, I forgot to ask you people: do you like this movie?

17 October, 2006 16:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! You got me! Funnyfunnyfunny!

17 October, 2006 16:43  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Will: He's an actor. Of course he's not deaf. Which deaf bloke?

LOSLI: I'm sure there's a gag there somewhere, but I'm just not able to come up with it. It's probably a lewd one, too.

Milla: Oh, you said "dubbed". Yes, that too.

Milla: No.

Lee: I have my moments, but I fear I may have built this one up just a little too much!

17 October, 2006 18:06  
Blogger Knitty Yas said...

WOW... I am pretty sure not only are you rockin it for airing all her dirty laundry, but im pretty sure you just ended Andie's career lol

ps i wish my hair looked as tamed as her's in those commercials.

17 October, 2006 20:12  
Blogger Karen said...

Well I'm disappointed. I was expecting something super juicy and THIS is what you give us? Colour me sad.

On another note, my word verification was EUPRRVT.

It struck me as Eeeeeew, pervert.

17 October, 2006 21:34  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

I don't know what to think now.

17 October, 2006 21:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, love husky women!
she had obviously worked on that southern accent.
good work!

18 October, 2006 09:57  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Yasamin: End her career, me? Isn't it already over?

Karen: Sorry to disappoint. And to see you all sad-coloured. Good word veri, though.

TD: Best not to.

Cappy: Yeah, she sounds a bit throaty, doesn't she? Cheers.

18 October, 2006 22:08  
Blogger apositivepessimist said...

So who did her in it...the voice I mean?

21 October, 2006 02:32  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

APP: She did. It was all a long, terrible, shaggy-dog-story joke.

21 October, 2006 07:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?