Saturday, September 02, 2006

Pictures on a big screen

Wife and I took the afternoon off yesterday and went to the cinema. We still had free tickets to a screening of our choice (see this post if you want to know why), and they were burning a whole in our pockets. Or, rather, in Wife's purse.

So, burning... Did we go and see the new Nicolas Cage version of The Wicker Man? The fuck we did! You know -- where did I hear this? -- when it came to remaking The Wicker Man, the producers decided that a 30- or 40-something man couldn't possibly still be a virgin, so instead of that being the lynchpin of the plot, as it was in the 1970s original, they have given the character -- get this -- an allergy to bees!? What the fuck is that?! There is no way I'm paying for cinema seats to see that! (Even if they're free cinema seats, in fact.)

Instead, we went to see Adrift, which seemingly in the States is called Open Water 2. Shame they've given it a sequel name over there, actually, because the two films have very little in common other than people being lost at sea. I quite enjoyed Open Water last year. I thought it was good to see a good idea win out over big budgets (à la El Mariachi and The Blair Witch Project, two of my favourite films). So when I discovered that this Adrift film was being touted as a sequel (even though it isn't), it didn't put me off.

The plot: Six friends hook up for the birthday of one of them, to party on board a massive yacht. Before long, all of them are in the water, but no one remembered to open up the ladder, so they can't get back on deck. Panic and desperation ensue, coupled with accidents and tragedy.

(The experience: Apart from the couple talking most of the way through it about 10 feet behind us, it wasn't too bad. I sort of forgive them cos they were quite old and the woman was in a wheelchair. I think the guy was explaining stuff to her. There were only about a dozen people at the showing, anyway.)

The score: 65 points for this. A good little movie.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

on the wicker man; i have been riding past a bus shelter ad for this for weeks. because of my love for the original..."oh jesus christ no!"...i have tried to steer clear of reading/watching anything about it. i know what i will be like. and then last night i gave in as it was reviewed in most papers. and got the worst reviews i have read in a while.
why? why do they do it. not only is the main character no longer a virgin as you say, but he's american. ???
can't they leave anything that we find sacred alone? and why has it always got to be transfered across the pond?
the italian job anybody?
hey ho, what you gonna do?

02 September, 2006 14:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, by the way. you have a night out and still watch a film? that seems like an obbsession to me!

02 September, 2006 14:12  
Blogger Adam Frazier said...

Hahahaha - your comment on Winwood and Collins is hilarious. Well, the main reason they are on a list is for kitsch value, as most anything from the '80s is. As far as Michael Jackson goes, I love his music...ha.

American college students seem to have this fascination for stuff that's tacky and sucks (as if you couldn't tell from our current mainstream music scene) - So, for that reason alone, I will shimmy to "Higher Love".

02 September, 2006 15:12  
Blogger Lee said...

LOL! That plot sounds like a comedy. They forgot the put the ladder down?! That's hysterical!

02 September, 2006 15:19  
Blogger Suze said...

I must admit I'm a bit pissed about The Wicker Man as I loved the original. It sounds more like a bloody comedy now!

02 September, 2006 17:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to all of you not in these isles, let me press the fact that the original wicker man was X rated.
it is now rated 12A. doesn't that tell all? mark kermode on news 24 on friday night said it was not scary in any way. and i trust his opinion.
sorry *, don't mean to take over!

03 September, 2006 00:56  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Cappy: This one has been on the cards for at least five years. That's about when I first heard about it. In the meantime I'd hoped they'd decided against it. Alas no. I'll probably watch it on rental DVD one day, but that's all. Just out of morbid curiosity. Obsession? Really? I watched two more on Saturday.

Adam: But these guys aren't even kitsch, dude. They're just plain awful and should be forgotten forever. And that includes Jackson, in my book. I have several 20-something white male friends who love him. I just don't get it.

Lee: Sounds like a comedy? Oh, it's no laughing matter, my friend!

Suze: I know. I'm pissed too. I just don't see how it can be any good.

Cappy: To be fair, to some extent, The Wicker Man original is now a cert 15 by today's standards, according to the most recent BBFC rating. Even so, Kermode is one of my fave critics, and he is something of an expert on The Wicker Man, so he's a good guy to trust on this one.

03 September, 2006 09:39  
Blogger Unknown said...

eek, the remake of the Wicker Man! Why have they even bothered, the original is still extremely watchable. Sons Numbers One and Two saw it for the first time a few months ago and loved it.

03 September, 2006 21:07  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Kate: I think I'm going to watch it again soon. It's been a couple of years since the last time. (Welcome back.)

04 September, 2006 09:21  
Blogger Shep said...

Shep Fact:

The original version of The Wicker Man takes place on my birthdate - 29th April 1973.

One cut of the film begins with just the date, white lettering on black background. It's not available on DVD sadly.

04 September, 2006 11:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?