Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 five years on: post #2


Unfortunately, the sound on this clip is way below par, but after 9/11 this song, "Superman" by Five For Fighting, was very quickly adopted as something of a tribute/anthem, particularly as regards the FDNY.

I think it's a beautiful song and probably would have liked it regardless, coupling as it does the theme of the fallibility of heroes with a high male voice, which I'm often a sucker for. Whether I would have heard it without the events of 9/11 is, of course, another matter.

hockeyext.jpg
The undeniable emotion of the song came to a head for me at the Annual NYPD vs FDNY Hockey Game in March 2002, the first since 9/11. I was there, and the game was late starting, in part so that the names of all the fallen firefighters and policemen and women could be played on the big screen, accompanied by this song.

Within months I was appalled to see it being used to advertise pasta on TV in Italy. Shame. Still a great song. Still incredibly powerful in its ability to put my mind right back to those dark days.

5 Comments:

Blogger Camie Vog said...

Thanks for posting this song. I couldn't listen to it due to the memories. Music provides too much emotion for me to bear at times.

11 September, 2006 14:01  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

and me

11 September, 2006 16:17  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Camie: I can listen to it okay-ish most of the time. But it always takes me back. I'm not sure I dare listen today.

4D: Music is hugely powerful at stirring the emotions.

11 September, 2006 16:24  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

wow... i hadn't realized that song had been connected to the events of 9/11. i've long loved that song, and now it will certainly carry new meaning for me.

i have no idea how i missed the connection... i feel a little out of the loop now.

13 September, 2006 05:53  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I was aware of the link from watching all the tribute shows etc in the immediate aftermath, but it was certainly further compounded by the hockey event.

13 September, 2006 07:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?