Friday, August 25, 2006

Movie reviews: listen or read

masked*1970
I've been toying with this idea for a wee while, but it's taken me so fucking long to get this done that I may never do another. Fucking tedious it was. Anyways, now I think I've got it sussed, so you never know... If you want to hear my latest reviews, click the little picture of me. Y'know, if you want. If not, you can read it instead, just below.

So, what new films have I seen over the last couple of days? Of course, "new" is a relative term, since almost everything I watch is several years old, it seems.

First up was Mar Adentro (The Sea Inside), and second was The Music of Chance.

I'm not going to spend too much time talking about the former, because Red has done her own lovely review of that. Check it out here. There's nothing more I can add to her synopsis and review, other than my score. I give Mar Adentro a very respectable 75, definitely worth watching and even worth buying at the right price.

And speaking of the right price, I picked up The Music of Chance at Sainsbury's for 99p (that's US$1.87 or C$2.07). Is that a fucking bargain, or what? Okay, it has no extras or subtitles or anything, and the film is framed at 4:3, but maybe it was made for cable TV. Still, at less than a quid, you can't complain too much.

The plot: A blood-spattered James Spader is picked up by passing motorist Mandy Patinkin. Spader explains he was beaten by poker players who believed he'd ripped them off. He goes on to tell Patinkin that he has a big game coming up tomorrow that he is bound to win but now he has no money. Patinkin offers to fund him. But the game they arrive at the following day is a game of cat and mouse just as much as it is one of poker.

The review: I expected very little of this movie, despite it being based on a novel by Paul Auster. To be honest, I'd tried watching it once years ago but got bored very early on. This time, I was more ready for it. It's a slow burner, and the story is thin, frankly, but the acting by the four or five main players is superb. Mandy Patinkin is so young (and so well toned) in this film it's quite astonishing. And he even gets to sing the wonderful Jerusalem in his incredibly distinctive voice. It's almost worth watching just for that. The ending was a little disappointing, but I guess it couldn't go anywhere else, really.

The score: I give this film 62 points out of 100.

Next up: Pusher, Munich, Casanova, Romance and Cigarettes, and One Deadly Summer, although I'm not sure I can do a full review of all of these. I've got other things to write about, too!

14 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

I'd have to retire now to keep up with your movie watching. Are you a secret multi millionaire who watches movies instead of working? And if so can I have some money please?

I'll give it a go eventually. Like James Spader.

25 August, 2006 18:00  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

I have got to figure out theis Firefox issue concerning not being able to see pictures! I can't click on what I can't see!!! Not only can I not hear your audio post, I couldn't see your movie at Mr.Anchovys site!!!! Guess I am going to have to break down and open up Internet Exploder.

25 August, 2006 19:17  
Blogger Suze said...

Well, if it only costs 99p at Sainsburys I'm going to check it out. I'm such a tight ass. LOL

25 August, 2006 21:05  
Blogger Suze said...

Asterisk, I got side tracked with your audio post. You have the most incredible educated and sexy voice.

Anyway, where was I...

25 August, 2006 21:17  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

4D: It's getting beyond a joke at the moment. I ficking wish I was a multimillionaire. If I was, it wouldn't be a secret, believe me!

Fruning: Intriguing, you say...? A nice personality, huh? And yes, I always feel lucky!

Camie: That's a drag what's going on with your Firefox. I don't use it but it's supposed to be good. You simply must get your stuff sorted out, dahling.

Suze: Good for you, girl! I mean, you can't even rent a movie for 99p. And the voice... Thanks. But it's only educated up to O level. (Ouch, I really didn't mean that as any sort of sexual pun...)

26 August, 2006 08:11  
Blogger me said...

nice voice, but i'm with dinners. do you do any work anymore?

26 August, 2006 08:51  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I do still work (!), but now that Big Brother is over I can watch a movie every night if I want. Hurrah!

26 August, 2006 11:29  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

I tried it in IE and still no proper results... I am beginning to suspect it has something to do with my ZoneAlarm.

26 August, 2006 14:51  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Wow, you have exactly the voice I imagined, very cool. I was fascinated by the pronounciation of "music of chance" and "talking"...what a treat to hear a voice...and oddly, it felt so old fashioned even though it takes more tech. Weird...but I felt as if there we are miles away, like old phone calls...

I had completely forgotten about the Paul Auster movie adaptation...I even forgot he had written the story. I went through a huge Auster phase...loving him, and then not reading him ever again(I think after Levithan...I lost my taste for him)...strange, but some of his novels are among my favourite reads.

I really enjoyed the weird con in this movie, and the acting, like you say.

I have meant to say that I have more often than not agreed with your rating of most of the movies...

26 August, 2006 16:58  
Blogger me said...

i am going to buck the trend here. yes i have said you have a nice voice, but no. not what i expected at all. i was expecting some gruff, gravely type thing, not someone as well spoken.
not dissapointed. just slightly disallusioned briefly. sorry.

27 August, 2006 01:36  
Blogger me said...

p.s. you thought of a job on radio four? you'd be good at that!

27 August, 2006 01:51  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Camie: I don't know what a ZoneAlarm is... Hope you can get it sorted soon. Is it just here you have trouble?

Candy: Cheers [blushes]. I've not read any Auster myself, but I feel I should some day. Thanks for the update on my rankings, too.

Cappy: Yeah, I already realized that I used my posh reading voice. I've spent too long in the south and have lost my West Country accent. I'll try to do something a bit more natural and capture my voice as it really is in conversation. Sorry you're disillusioned! I'd love to do voiceover or announcing work, though.

27 August, 2006 13:55  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you don't sound Northern at all LOL

Seriously though, you have a lovely voice, I was expecting something more along the lines of Ray Winstone - I think it was the tattoos - but you sound great. A bit like that chap who reviews films on Radio 5 (James King?) You should do this more often :-)

03 September, 2006 21:24  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Kate: Thanks for the kind words! I will try to do it a bit more often. It's just that it's usually so much quicker to type. Unless I ad lib, but that brings its own problems...

04 September, 2006 09:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?