Sunday, August 13, 2006

It’s more than a job; it’s an occupation

It's now estimated that there are 30,0o0 Israeli troops inside Southern Lebanon. So it seems that the Israelis' history of occupation is continuing apace. And now, despite the ceasefire being scheduled for early Monday morning, they are saying it may take up to two weeks for them to withdraw fully. Pricks.

Clearly all they are doing is trying to push Hezbollah to make a stupid mistake. By staying there after the ceasefire they are deliberately baiting their opponents IN THEIR OPPONENTS' OWN TERRITORY. It would be perfectly understandable if Hezbollah don't take this too well. I hope they stay strong and don't do anything silly. Then they will have the moral high ground, something that the Israelis have never held in this war. But I can't help feeling that Israel will just keep on pushing -- and lying to the world -- until Hezbollah snaps and goes straight back at 'em.

This is a fucked-up situation and no messing. But Israel just keep on bullshitting and breaking their promises. What the fuck are the Hezbollah to do? Their backs are against the wall. And I suspect they are virtually national heroes by now, because they are there on the front lines, defending their country against an occupation by enemy forces.

You know, in the documentary Outfoxed it was revealed that Rupert Murdoch ordered all his news channels to stop referring to those fighters fighting the US Army as "resistance" because it made them sound like heroes. But they, too, were fighting an enemy coming into their own homes; they were resistance fighters. Murdoch said they should be called insurgents, which means "people who revolt against civil authority". That's quite a different spin, isn't it?

Who is right and who is wrong is always a matter of perspective. History is written by the victors. Insert your own cliché here. But just remember, we are here witnessing these wars, and whatever the written history tells us in the years to come, we know, right now, that Israel is out of line here. Way out of line.

5 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hm, you know how I feel on this a couple of ways, but I'll tell ya a secret, ten years ago I was very sympathetic to Lebannon...it's been since then when this war never stops that I have taken the stand to not take sides because their motives are all "they started it". I am sick of it all.

But right now, you are correct, it's very tense situation right now of a trust, or patience factor....a waiting game...will one side break and will the other freak out.

Right now, the court of public opinion is more sympathetic than its ever been towards Lebannon....I pray and meditate that they keep cool...keep cool if they could I have always felt they should sit in the street and wait and the whole world would help them.

Oh lets hope THIS time(how many times has the world said this?) THIS time they take a time out for real. ALL of them.

13 August, 2006 17:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Civil disobedience and non violent protest works best. Look at Ghandi for goodness sake, and Martin Luther King. Hezbollah could give that a go. Israel depends on palestinian labour to keep it going.

13 August, 2006 20:14  
Blogger Tamarai said...

Hah. I'm with Deep Stoat re: Ruper Murdoch. The media is NOT impartial. And certainly does express the views of those who run it.

14 August, 2006 11:57  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Oh yes, I meant to say...that the CBc (bbc lite via Cananda) has started their coverage ALWAYS with the Israeli story first. It gets on my nerves. It sets a tone that really disappoints me. Subtle but effective.

14 August, 2006 15:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I've found this a month too late. Don't see why you're uncomfortable discussing things that mean a lot to you. I've only just started my blog and am getting a lot of pleasure writing it. I never thought that Israel was right, and always thought their response wholly disproportionate and inexcusable, and I say that as a British Jew. I don't have to blindly agree with everything Israel does - wrong is wrong. I do think that Hezbollah are evil cunts, but I fail to see how bombing the shit out of civilians in the country they're based in helped.

Keep saying what you feel.

25 September, 2006 00:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?