Saturday, August 19, 2006

Finding Neverland: a guest post

Hey there, blogmates. You may or may not be aware that this week I am doing some guest posts at Mister Anchovy while he's away. I was very honoured to be asked.

You can read the first of my posts by clicking here. And while you're there, if you're not familiar with Mister Anchovy's work, have a look around. Thanks.

Edit:

Some time has passed, so I'm repeating that post here, too.

Last night marked the end of Wife's week-long stint working in London. I miss her when she's away. We celebrated with an Indian takeaway and a bottle of Veuve Clicquot.

We watched the news. Hundreds of Lebanese were buried. Of those, 28 were killed in the Qana attack of July 30. And of those 28 from Qana, 16 were children.

Then I turned over to watch the Big Brother "grand" finale. I'm so glad it's over now. I feel I can get my life back. Although it went shit towards the end, by that time I'd already invested so much time in it that I was compelled to see the outcome.

Tourette's-suffering Pete won. He was virtually a dead cert from the off. My fave, ghetto princess Aisleyne, came third, while Wife's fave, gay Canadian waiter Richard, came fourth.

Johnny_DeppI feel it is beneath me, at 36 years of age, to even dignify the programme makers with my viewing figure.

Besides that, though, it just seems wrong to flick from Lebanese tragedy to puerile "reality-show" farce -- to feel I can finally "get my life back" from the television, while people in Lebanon are burying entire families.

But ours is the generation that never grew up. We left home, yes, and started families of our own, but we still watch crap TV and rent bad movies and buy gadgets and comic books and toys. We've found our own Neverland in which to bury our heads.

3 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

On me way now....

19 August, 2006 14:16  
Blogger me said...

gonna pop round. that must be such a privalage for someone to trust you enough to let you loose on their site. lucky old you.

19 August, 2006 18:05  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

4D: Cheers.

Cappy: A real privilege, yeah. I'm mindful not to alienate or upset any of his regulars, though...

20 August, 2006 09:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?