Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Bitter, bitter disappointment yet again

I just have to get this off my chest, even though I know many readers will not give a toss.

Once again I have to suffer the bitter, bitter disappointment that comes with being a life-long Adam Ant fan. Never does any new release appear when it is promised, but this new blow takes the cake, I swear.

The DVD Digital Tenderness, a comprehensive collection of Ant videos, has been on the cards for three years. Not only does it contain all the videos, but also videos and performances previously unseen. This is the Holy Grail -- the Ant video collection to end them all. I could not be any more excited.

Last week it popped up for pre-order on Amazon. I dutifully placed my order, awaiting its release, on or around the same day as the Adam Ant autobiography Stand and Deliver. This book has been hotly anticipated by Ant fans for a decade or more.

Today I learn that the DVD has been cancelled. Not postponed; not suspended indefinitely. Cancelled. Fucking fucking fucking fucking cunts to it. This is such a bastard fucking pain in the bollocks that I can't even put it into words that aren't curse words.

It's down to licensing problems, apparently. Umm, hold on... This disc has been in the planning for three years. The covers are printed and the discs are pressed, presumably. It's on Amazon for pre-order; it comes out in two weeks' time. DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE SORTED THESE LICENSING PROBLEMS OUT A LITTLE SOONER, YOU PRICKS?!

Furthermore, there's even suspicion that the book may get pulled too, since the serialization due to have commenced in a Sunday paper this past weekend did not show up. People are even asking whether the audio-book version has been recorded.

All of this stuff was due to come out in a crazy flurry of Ant activity on 11 September. And now we Ant fans are sat here holding our cocks waiting to see what the fuck happens next.

Fuck.

Still, I managed to lift my weary depressed ass out of the sofa and go to Sainsbury's to buy some groceries. And on my way there I spied a good sign. A van, presumably some sort of courier, had written on its side something to the effect of "There are no delays with Stand and Deliver". How fucking weird is that?

Well, I'm about done here for now. Later...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Tamarai said...

Perhaps a message from the Universe?

30 August, 2006 12:39  
Blogger Shep said...

Why not console yourself in the fact that my good friend and ex-flatmate Tim's film Antmuzak is out on DVD soon...

http://www.blakesjunction7.com/antmuzak

30 August, 2006 14:07  
Blogger Will said...

I tried to persuade them to change their minds and bring out the DVD, but they were adamant.

30 August, 2006 14:12  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Tanya: I hope it is a message from the universe. Just have to sit and wait now...

Shep: I like that film a lot. Seen it online and on TV a couple of times. So it was made by a friend of yours, huh? How cool.

Will: To use a line from Simpsons episode Bart The Genius: RDRR.

30 August, 2006 14:15  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Lots of punks slagged off Adam and The Ants. I liked 'em. Novel, different, piss taking, funny, talented. Nowt wrong wi fun in music n they were. Saw Marco Perroni on the box a few weeks back. He's a BIG fella now. I'll buy it if it ever happens

30 August, 2006 14:57  
Blogger Suze said...

I didn't even know about the release of the DVD or book. It would have been on my shopping list too. He was one of my idols.

Guess we'll have to watch this space.

30 August, 2006 19:05  
Blogger The Anti Crapitalist said...

Poor Adam's gone and flipped his lid again hasn't he!!

31 August, 2006 00:00  
Blogger Cynnie said...

Ummm..I'm not laughing, I'm not laughing..
You have HUMONGOUS huevos admitting you're a big ol' AA fan..
Or maybe thats just a brit thing?
Isn't he dead?

31 August, 2006 01:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

early stuff, nah.
later ant stuff, yeah.
solo stuff, hmmm.
going loopy and threatening to shoot someone in a pub, class.

and his toilets were ok too!

31 August, 2006 08:03  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

4D: I think the punks probably didn't get it, at first. Should be a good DVD if it ever comes out...

Suze: "Would have". That's all we've got now... I'll keep y'all posted.

AC: Probably!

Cynnie: That's funny! He's not dead, just seemingly permanently in psychiatric hospitals...

Cappy: The early stuff's best for me. Middle stuff is classic but less interesting. Solo stuff has its moments. Threatening to shoot someone in a pub: geeeeenius!

31 August, 2006 08:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?