Thursday, July 13, 2006

The story of my trip to London, part one

Yesterday was a bit of a wash-out for me on the blogging front. All I managed to do was 20 Comments Wednesday; no time for posting at all. That's because yesterday was one of those days when Wife and I decided to do something other than sit at our desks all day. We both love our blog-errific ways, but sometimes you've got to get out, haven't you? (No?)

First, some background. As part of my job, I often do some work on wine-related books and magazines. I like wine - like, duh, it's alcohol... of course I like it! And I enjoy reading the text I'm working on and learning more and more about the stuff. So, for Christmas, Wife bought me a Wine Experience at Vinopolis in London.

We don't drive into central London. Apart from the Congestion Charge, driving into London would be plain silly. Traffic is crazy, and parking costs £73 per second. So we left our humble Kentish abode at about 10.45 and walked to the railway station to take a train to Old Londinium Town. We left so early because our trips to London as a couple are rare. Now and again, one or the other of us has to go for a meeting or a little bit of work, but going together for fun is not commonplace. This being the case, we decided to make the most of it and go for lunch at one of our old haunts.

En route, we went down Carnaby Street. Proof here. It, apparently, used to be hip and cutting edge and swinging once upon a long ago. Now it's not. Here we are:


And here's me just falling off the left edge of this pic. The Cappuccino Kid might like the Lambretta shop on the far right.


We popped into the David & Goliath store, and Wife bought a T-shirt. I was tempted by one that said "Liquor in the front, poker in the rear", but they didn't have my size. Next time...

Melati used to be one of my favourite restaurants before I met Wife, and so it was one of the first we went to together, back in the day. It is probably the restaurant in London that I have been to more times than any other. In that dim, distant past, I used to be greeted with a handshake. I was a recognized returning customer. Not so these days, unforch. Still, the food was just as wonderful as I knew it would be. Sadly we forgot to take any pictures (dummies), but we had satay starters (tofu for Wife, chicken for me), followed by sambal sotong (squid in a spicy tomato sauce) for me and stir-fried king prawns and vegetables for Wife (sorry, forgotten the Malaysian name), both with boiled rice. Officially, Melati is still an excellent restaurant.

It was here that I started my drinking for the day, with two bottles of Tiger Beer. (I love Asian beer, but none more so than Singha Beer, which so reminds me of our Thailand honeymoon.) And drinking was, of course, to remain a common factor over the coming hours...

~ end of part one ~

11 Comments:

Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

Hey Red. How did you get the pic of you and Bruce Willis?

13 July, 2006 12:31  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Gosh, how quickly you can go off someone... Grrr.

13 July, 2006 12:51  
Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

Hello Asterwisk. Thanks for leaving nice comments about me at Cynnie's place. Don't mind ol' Weas. He's a bit strange, but mostly harmless. In his world, all men look like Bwuce Willis, and all women look like Wincy Willis.

I remember Carnaby Stweet in the good days. Where do you think I got my super suit fwom? That's wight - "I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet"

BTW I have weluctantly stwuck Tony Blair off my nice list. Its a shame, but he only got on it by claiming he would give a huge donation, no loan, to my favourwite chawity.

13 July, 2006 13:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didnt see you either.

13 July, 2006 19:53  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

God Weasel, you're right. Bruce Willis indeed he is. * there's nowt wrong with that, Bruce Willis ain't a bad lookng chap at all.

14 July, 2006 08:58  
Blogger Red said...

Guys, I was going to let that first Weasel comment about Bruce Willis slip through the net and forget about it. But A.C.T. , now you're at it too!

Words cannot describe how much I loathe that bad ham of an actor. Now you are all telling me my husband looks like him?!?

I like to think you look like a young Paul Newman, *. Or even the lovely Aras from Survivor Panama. You know? Hot and foxy, not Bruce Willis-y in any way. And nothing anybody says will make me change my mind!!

14 July, 2006 09:58  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Sorry Red, do forgive me? It's a bit difficult to tell as it's only a quarter of his head that we can see. I happen to think Bruce Willis is quite handsom, albeit a bad actor. If it makes you feel any better, my Dad said that Mike looks like Jimmy Carr!! For the record, he doesn't.

14 July, 2006 10:50  
Blogger Red said...

Oh, ACT (I'm going to drop the full stops, unless you have some morbid attachment to them, in which case, please do tell me and I'll reinsert them!), of course you are forgiven!

And even * agrees that that picture lends itself to the Bruce Willis comparison. But believe me: the remaining three quarters of *'s head? A young Paul Newman!

14 July, 2006 10:58  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Cap. Nice: I think dropping Blair from your list is a great idea. Hopefully Cliff won't be far behind. The nice comments were well deserved, worry ye not.

RD: Yeah, but I didn't have my mask on. I was the one who (it seems) looks like Bruce Willis. Still didn't see me? Oh well, never mind.

Weas, ACT, & Red: Yes, I accept that pic is a bit Willis-ish. Still, I don't mind the Bruce-ster, so :-P or whatever!

14 July, 2006 11:21  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Of course I have no morbid fascination with them R.E.D.

14 July, 2006 22:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

21 July, 2006 04:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?