Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Been shoppin’

I've never really considered myself a shopaholic. Apart from the fact that to be a shopaholic it's almost implied that you have to be either a girl or gay, I've always just found the idea of shopping boring: the searching out good things in overcrowded shops and then queuing to part with your cash has just never really held any appeal for me.

Then along came the Internet and all that changed. Well, not quite all. Most of my music, movie, and book shopping is now done online, but when it comes to clothes and shoes, I really have to get out to the stores and mingle with real people.

I went shopping this morning. The intention was to pick up a pair of lightweight long trousers to keep myself protected from the sun. I don't want a repeat of my recent sunburn episode when next I venture out.

In the event, I bought the following.

Three DVDs: Man on Fire (as kind of recommended by Candy), Minority Report, and Barton Fink.
One CD: Rage Against the Machine.

(To be fair, the above haul came to £10.96 [US$20.22], which is a total bargain.)

Plus:

Two T-shirts from the David & Goliath shop for £20 each;

and two pairs of lightweight long trousers (one beige; one navy pinstripe) and one pair of lightweight three-quarter length trousers from Next, which came to about £83 I think.

And all I went out to buy was one pair of lightweight long trousers.

As we were leaving the shopping centre, Wife said, "I wish I found it as easy to shop as you do."

I think she thinks I'm a shopaholic. But I'm not a girl. Nor am I gay (despite the fact that I bought a pair of lightweight three-quarter length trousers). I also spent about £30 online yesterday on a CD (for Wife), the Season 3 box set of Quantum Leap, and a book (that Salaryman one that A.C.T. has just finished reading).

Oops.

"Hello, my name's * (asterisk), and I'm a shopaholic."

9 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Did I really say "I wish I found it as easy to shop as you do"?

What I meant to say was, "Just pick a pair of trousers and let's hurry up already."

04 July, 2006 18:46  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

That was hilarious. All the men in my life shop more than me. they shop more than all the women I know. My boyfrined has maybe 4000 hats. He has so many t shirts they have to be ona cycle. I have probably said this before but when I got to chicago he had "saved" me half a closet but with boxes of clothes on a shelf on my half. We have four closets. Two of them huge old fashioned(when apartments were actually designed with real people in mind) walk in closets.

I live out of a suitcase and have for about ten years. the suitcase changes, the clothes get recycled and bought and replaced recycled...but one suit case.

But aparently, I'm a fashionista.

"Babe, are you really wearing white running shoes to the restaurant?"

04 July, 2006 19:30  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

(in a sing song voice)
"*A is a clothes whore, *A is a clothes whore!"

05 July, 2006 01:47  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

CM: Does it not drive you crazy, living out of a suitcase? I don't feel like I have many clothes, but the truth is that I have loads of casual comfortable clothes, but virtually none suitable for the occasional meetings I have to go to. At said meetings, I have to wear long sleeves to cover my tatts, but I like wearing loud, Hawaiian-type shirts, which are not easy to find with long sleeves. I have found one that's good, and I know a website that sells proper Hawaiian shirst also with long sleeves, so one day I'll get my act together and order some.

CV: And I am so not a clothes whore! At least I don't think so. One of my problems, though, is that I buy clothes that I end up never wearing because they never looks so good in real life (ie, outside of the fitting room). Oh, I don't know...

05 July, 2006 12:04  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Pie: I do like a bargain. That Quantum Leap set was £17 reduced from £35. What's a boy to do?!

Red: Well it was both, I think: one going in, the other going out.

05 July, 2006 12:05  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Glad you got the book, you'll really enjoy it. Haven't you got loads already on the go?

05 July, 2006 17:14  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

ACT: It's not arrived yet, but yes I've already got too many on the go...

05 July, 2006 17:54  
Blogger Martha Elaine Belden said...

Ooo... Quantum Leap. I haven't seen that show in ages. My father's cousin was actually in an episode (not sure how well you know the seasons, but she's the red head in the one where he's married to two different women... cool, huh?). Anyway we used to watch that show all the time!

Nice job on the purchases... and to give you a little justification... the difference between gay guy/girl shopaholism is that you went shopping one day and bought a bunch of stuff you need/want. They go shopping and buy a lot of stuff they want every couple of days.

05 July, 2006 19:40  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

That is cool. I know QL pretty well: it's one of my top ten shows of all time probably.

And thanks for shedding some light. You have now confirmed that I'm neither a girl nor gay. Phew!

06 July, 2006 07:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?