Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Azzurro is the colour

How great were Italy last night? Okay, so Germany were good, too. But at the end of the day, Italy raised their game and Germany didn't. I'm no football connoisseur, and I don't have a great sporting memory. Indeed, my interest in Italian football dates back only about ten years, but I've never seen Italy play better than they did last night. Fantastic.


I must go on record, too, though, and say that I really don't like Alessandro Del Piero. When I saw him come on, I though we were in for 15 minutes of diving from the dive-master. At best I thought that even that old, played-out motherfucker had quarter of an hour of good football in him. But to go on and score that second goal in the last minute as he did... Sheer magic.

Normally when Italy score, be it in the first minute or the last, you can expect them to stop attacking and go into defence mode. But last night to score two goals - no, two great goals - in the last two or three minutes of the game... Unheard of. Un-Italy. Unadulterated genius.

And still no team has put a goal past Italy in the whole of the World Cup. The only goal they have conceded is the own goal against the USA.

Best commentating moment? "It's lovely to see two strikers playing with each other."

Let's hope the French get a caning tonight and that we see an Italy v Portugal final.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

I wish we had been in Italy last night.

We could have driven along the seafront honking our horns and rejoicing, instead of being told, "We can hear you shouting three doors down!" Eh, you've gotta shout some encouragement at the telly, no?

2/20

05 July, 2006 09:57  
Blogger Falloff Boy said...

An Italy v Portugal final?
Are you quite mad?
Portugal need to be put to the sword, as they are the biggest shower of limp wristed, cheating cunts in world football.

Zidane is the man for the job and I'm hoping for a classic final between France and Italy.

05 July, 2006 11:03  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Ah, Mr Bag, quite mad I may be, but I can't for the life of me wish for France to win. You see, they're French. That, and I've always quite liked Portugal. Course, I liked them more when they had Xavier and all that lot, but the past is the past.

Zidane is still surprisingly lithe for an old bastard, but I just can't summon any enthusiasm for the French. Didn't even watch the Brazil v France match. I'll be watching tonight, though. At least until I get bored...

05 July, 2006 11:12  
Blogger Falloff Boy said...

France have been dull as dishwater, for sure, until somebody woke old mr Zidane up during the Brazil game.
He embodies hope for ageing, balding men everywhere.

05 July, 2006 11:33  
Blogger Falloff Boy said...

And these can count as comment 1 or 20.

05 July, 2006 12:08  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

You don't like Del Piero? He's a hero (it rhymes). I've seen a lot worse divers than him...

05 July, 2006 17:12  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

BB: I'll pay special attention to Zin Zid tonight. Promise. Still don't want them to win, though...

ACT: He just spends so much time on the bloody floor! I know he used to get targeted a lot when he was any good, but his flashes of brilliance are fewer and further between than ever. (I guess we all suffer from that as we age...) He was great in that last minute, though, no denying!

05 July, 2006 17:57  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Italy or France are goin to win it. If Portugal beat France it's Italy's n if they play like they did against Germnay they'll deserve it big time!

05 July, 2006 18:00  
Blogger martinobhoy said...

I think I'd rather it was France as well. Portugal against England was so dull and I could see Portugal playing for penalties in the final.

France should make a game of it plus we still need revenge for Euro 2000.

05 July, 2006 18:32  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

Martinobhoy, I'd love revenge for Euro 2000, but I don't think I could stand it. Looks like you might have your wish - 68 mins, 1-0 to France.

05 July, 2006 21:31  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

4D: I think if France's play of late is anything to go by, and if Italy play like they did against Germany, then I agree, it's Italy all the way. I feckin hope so, anyway.

Martin: Well, it's France. Can't really say they deserved it, though. Portugal were unlucky.

ACT: Sunday is gonna be very tense...

06 July, 2006 07:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?