Saturday, June 24, 2006

Whatever became of...? #2

Hello, and welcome to the second of my "Whatever Became Of…?" series. This time around, Toto Coelo.


Don't remember them? Maybe this'll help:

I eat cannibal
Feed on animal
Your love is so edible to me
I eat cannibal.


Yes, those are some of the lyrics of their No. 8 UK hit "I Eat Cannibals, Part 1", from 1982.

So, what became of those lovely lasses? Who the fuck knows? Well, actually, I tell you someone who might know: Bob "I'll have a P, please" Holness. Really? Yes, really. Because his daughter is one of the Toto Coelo girls. Who'd'a thunk it?

I can tell you, though, that the band was called Total Coelo in the United States, to avoid confusion with Toto. Huh? Maybe Toto should've changed their name to avoid confusion with Total gas stations. Or Toto the dog from The Wizard of Oz.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger me said...

all i remember is them being on top of the pops and dancing around in bin bags! it had rarther an odd effect on this northen teenage lad!

24 June, 2006 20:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I remember their TOTP in coloured bin bags to....and what's more you can get a wallpaper of that performance on the BBC website here http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/wallpaper/novelty.shtml

I also remember getting shouted out for then wasting Mum's roll of bin bags making a replica dress.

24 June, 2006 21:14  
Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

Is this another Bob Holness urban myth like the one about him playing the sax solo on "Baker Street"?

24 June, 2006 23:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Holness trivia - he played James Bond in a radio play in South Africa. Some people cite him as the first person to play James Bond though technically there was an American programme that featured the character but they called him Jimmy Bond.

I'm worried that I know this....

25 June, 2006 09:42  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

FF: I remember that, too. Funny, though, I'd totally forgotten it. Much like I'd almost totally forgotten the band.

Beki: Thanks for stopping by (twice). I think I'll give the wallpaper a miss! Not a Bond fan myself, but it sounds like you might be... Or a massive Bob Holness fan!

WW: Apparently this Holness story is true. It must be: it's on Wikipedia. And, as Joe Jackson said, "they wouldn't print it if it wasn't true".

25 June, 2006 10:21  
Blogger me said...

hate to burst your bubble guys, it is a total falicy! bob holness has never played, nor can he play the sax! the bond radio thing however is 100% true.

25 June, 2006 18:44  
Blogger Red said...

I’m sure I’ve seen the one with the red belt in front of the tomato-can factory in my hometown...

26 June, 2006 18:12  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

FF: That's what I hear. But his daughter is a Toto Coelo girl. Tell me that's true at least...

HtDJ: It's not wrong at all. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Red: I think you are implying prostitution. Well, maybe... Times can be hard for former stars of such magnitude.

27 June, 2006 10:34  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

I remember them! That proves I was stoned...

27 June, 2006 15:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?