Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Whatever became of...?

Don't you just love those "Whatever Became Of...?" columns in magazines? Well, I do, and I'm gonna start my own right now. I know in the magazines they usually end up doing some research and telling the reader indeed what happened to the person(s) in question. I may or may not do that, depending on how much time I have on my hands. Anyway, here we go.

The first in my ongoing series is Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine.

Carter USM, as they were informally known, and sometimes just Carter, was a pair of sixth-form-looking motherfuckers with floppy stupid hair bringing their own brand of music to the masses. The music was almost an electronic post-punk kind of thing, with humour and a guitar.

The boys wrote quite witty lyrics, and some of their songs had quite witty titles: "The Only Living Boy in New Cross", for example, and "24 Minutes from Tulse Hill", to name but two of their tracks. But for me the duo is best remembered for their take on The Jam's "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight". The original is a rightly acknowledged classic pop song, and it's almost impossible to get the tune out of your head when you are, indeed, down in a tube station at or around midnight. Carter brought something fresh to it. They changed the feel considerably, and yet the brilliance of the track still shines through.

Anyways, that's all by the by. So, what became of Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine? How the fuck should I know?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes! Downloaded a few of their tracks recently. Was into them in the early 90's along with half man half biscuit.

06 June, 2006 23:13  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Dunno where they went. They were good though.

06 June, 2006 23:20  
Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

ever been to rathergood.com?

06 June, 2006 23:45  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Went into my local. Didn't recognise new barman. All head shaved aside from huge long lock in forehead.

Bit odd, I thought.

Whistling the tune to 'Sheriff Fatman' to himself in a wistful way.

I wonder.

Guy at chipshop is Elvis though.

07 June, 2006 03:26  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Great idea for a post and perhaps recurring topic. Maybe posting about them will attract someone online who knows whatever happened to them? It's amazing these bands that are part of our local community but don't always make it outside their country etc. I like to hear about them, next you'll figure out a way to mp3 them for us...you are all so tech savvy lately! It's a big inspiration...for me...for what I don't know but enjoying the process and watching...

Cheers
Candy

07 June, 2006 06:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fruit bat is still recording. he looks a damn sight more respectable these days though.

saw them at sheffield octogon some years back. good but reminded me of a working mens club turn, singing with a guitar to a backing track!

their finest moment was when they decked pip schofield at the pop awards! class.

07 June, 2006 07:08  
Blogger me said...

ok, now i am scared. either i am sleep blogging (which i due to happen i'm sure) or magical forces are at work!
please reassure me that i aint going mad!

07 June, 2006 11:40  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Magical forces. Don't be mad or go mad.

:-)

07 June, 2006 13:35  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

That's a blast from the past. Was never really keep on them but there were loads of other great indie bands around at the time like Teenage Fanclub and Hole. Apparently Carter USM have just released an album of previously unreleased tracks.

07 June, 2006 14:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?