Tuesday, June 20, 2006

No future fuchsia

For the first time in my life, I have booked my next holiday just one day after returning from one. I've never done that before, but it feels so good!

This means of course that I need to recover from my current bout of sunburn in time for the next lot.

I am the king of sunburning.

In fact, I still suffer the consequences of my honeymoon in Thailand. This was in 1998. I got so badly burned on my sternum that just the faintest sniff on sun makes it glow today. It's bizarre. And I don't mind saying, just a little bit scary. If I'm ever to be diagnosed with skin cancer, it'll be there, I'm sure.

In September, it'll be ten years since my first trip to Italy. Since then, Wife and I have been at least once a year. Some years, we've been three times. The shortest trip was 24 hours; the longest, three weeks. And we usually try to go for at least five days in the height of summer.

So, you'd think I would have learned by now about the sun, the dangers of exposure to the sun, sunburn... that sort of thing. But hell no. Every summer trip involves me turning, as the locals say, fuchsia. Sometimes this happens within the first couple of days; sometimes a little later. On this most recent trip it was on what should have been my penultimate day on the beach. In the event, though, I couldn't face another day after that. I arrived, sat for a few minutes, and went back home to the mother-in-law's, leaving Wife to enjoy a couple of hours there on her own.

I know we Brits are no strangers to burning. We do it well. And in truth, many many Brits do it far better than I. But I'm still the king. Why? Because, like I said above, I should have learned by now. I'm the king, or champion, of idiots. Although maybe Conan O'Brien, Conor Oberst, and George Costanza may want to challenge me on that.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger tideliar said...

I challenge thee to a Burn Off Sir!! Here in Memphis it's already 30C by about 9am. I got burned scarlet in April after spending an hour or two by my pool. I need to use the old Factor 30, but generally forget. I think it's an English thing...

21 June, 2006 17:39  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

A challenge, you say? Pah! Just be careful what you wish for, sir!

Ouch, 30C at 9am is some serious shit, dude.

I was using SPF30. But on that Friday I just didn't, and I figured, well, I'm in the shade. Yeah, well done, doofus.

21 June, 2006 17:44  
Blogger Red said...

You shouldn’t take Doofus’s name in vain!

21 June, 2006 17:51  
Blogger tideliar said...

That was my problem...you figure you're out of the direct sunlight. Yeah. Good plan. Burned the crap out of a new(ish) tattoo too...that's worse :( Seems to be OK, but we'll see how it fares over time...

21 June, 2006 20:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?