Thursday, June 29, 2006

Great websites #2

It's been about a month since my last "Great websites" post, which you can find here, so I figured it's about time I threw another one together.

This time, I want to bring your attention to Grammy.ru. Now, before I go any further, I must first say that I can't vouch for the legality of this site. It seems perfectly above board, and maybe it is ... in Russia! But my guess is that it's not something that non-Russians should know about. Why? Because it offers free mp3 downloads of songs by hundreds upon hundreds of artists. You can pick up virtually anything by Prince, for example; there are some 800 songs each by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones; seemingly everything from this year's Eurovision Song Contest... Well, the list goes on and on. There's even a four-CD bootleg box set by Buddy Holly on there, called What You Been A-Missin'.

It's not fully comprehensive, of course. What would Russians want with Elliott Smith, Bright Eyes, Adam & The Ants, and the Black Crows? And some albums mysteriously have one or two songs missing(!). Even so, it's got to be worth checking out if you're looking to top up your iPod.

I wouldn't want to be seen to encourage piracy, so I can't tell you which buttons to push. I will say, though, that the link in this post will take you to the English-language version. And that will make everything look far less scary.

Would it be worth buying the Internet for just this one site? Well, no, possibly not. But it is fucking cool nonetheless.

So, without further ado, Grammy.ru, for services to music, the Web, and the world, A Blog About Nowt salutes you.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger tideliar said...

I heard about that one the other day, coincidently. Our "manager" used it to download the covers list my new band needs to learn. Cost him like 88c for 14 songs or something....

and, just catching up with blog friends. Saw via The pieshop what that 7/20 was about the other day :D I shall try and join in next week. maybe we can give Osbasso and HNT a run for their money :D

29 June, 2006 19:04  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Quite right, Pie! I meant to say that...

TL: This is all free on this site. It's been going for a few years, so hopefully it'll stick around, but you never know. Grab it while you can, I say!

29 June, 2006 19:09  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Thanks for the good review and the handy heads up!

29 June, 2006 22:08  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

They've got tAtU....yummy

29 June, 2006 23:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?