Tuesday, June 06, 2006

“C’mon! C’mon! Hurry up Harry, come on.”

I wanted to talk briefly about how glad I am that Sham 69 have a new record out. It's a bit of a shame that it's a World Cup song, but it beats that shitty fucking official Embrace effort by miles for terrace-singalong-ability. I mean, who doesn't want to sing it? "C'mon! C'mon!"

"Hurry Up Harry" must surely be one of the high points of the second wave of punk rock. And That's Life, from which it came, must surely be one of the greatest concept albums of all time. In fact, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think Mike "The Streets" Skinner must have given That's Life more than its fair share of listenings when writing A Grand Don't Come For Free.

Okay, so perhaps the reworked "Hurry Up England" ain't quite "Hurry Up Harry", but I know what I'll be singing when it comes to football tunes over the next four weeks.

7 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Been singin' it for 3 weeks already courtesy of Virgin radio on night shift. Ex Sham Bassist Albie Maskell worked with me for a year in cargo. He used to whizz alongside runways in his forklift truck droppin'his trousers at bemused passengers peerin out of the portholes. Nutter but good egg

06 June, 2006 23:23  
Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

funnily enough, Jimmy Pursey was the first name that came to mind when I heard your recording. Then Joe Strummer. I go with Joe Strummer because he had that ability to deliver a lyric and make you feel he meant it.

So of course, did Jimmy Pursey, but ther e is a difference between an invocation to imbibe a pint, and anarcho-syndicalist dialectic. I think (?)

06 June, 2006 23:44  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

4D: I didn't even know it had been released until Monday morning. Never listen to the radio, y'see. That's funny about the bassist. It's like that guy from Splodgenessabounds who is now a chauffeur.

WW: I can't deny that that the me/Pursey comparison has been made before (but only in reference to that one track). Personally I prefer Sham to The Clash, although I respect that The Clash were trying to do more than just make silly punk records. It may have worked, too, if only anyone could've understood a word Strummer was saying...

07 June, 2006 07:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jimmy pursey and the boys, best world cup song this year.

i think the embrace one is an absolute scandal! can you imagine any hairy arsed footy fan singing that?

not while i have a hole in my arse!

07 June, 2006 07:09  
Blogger Red said...

The Embrace song is a typical Embrace song, a wingless turkey that ain’t never gonna fly. Granted.

But the collective age of the guys in Sham 69 is about 394 (and that doesn’t even take into account the gummy guy who sings).

No offence to old people, who deserve to live and sing songs as much as everybody else. But the question is: do they deserve to be heard? I think I’ll pass.

07 June, 2006 10:38  
Blogger me said...

how did i do that?

07 June, 2006 11:37  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not really familiar with that band (yeah, poor me), but based on ur description, i might check it out. hehehe.

guess what! the trip to HK *is* going on!

:D :D :D :D :D

07 June, 2006 12:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?